Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket leaking

I found a very small coolant leak on what appears to be the right side of the engine externally leaking from one of the middle cylinders. I'm going to attempt blue devil and hopefully that works, if not I'm buying a gasket. I have a 2004 discovery 4.6l, so what gasket should I go with? Also should.i get the original bolts or go with ARP studs? Don't want this leaking again so I want to use quality gaskets.....

Old 10-22-2017, 10:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey, I personally wouldn't bother with the blue devil, it is a band aid at best and can clog everything else up -- radiator, heater core, etc. I'd use it as a last resort if it was an emergency, but that's about it.

Another thing, there are no cooling passages near the middle cylinders. They are near cylinders 1, 2, 7, and 8. At a minimum, before going to the trouble of doing the heads, I would pull the spark plug out of the nearest cylinder to the "leak" and see if it is steam-cleaned. If so, it could be more than a head gasket.

Any registered misfires? Overheating? Could the coolant be dripping down from somewhere up top?

I like the Elring gaskets. I have them on two of my rigs and they seem to work good. I have used both the head bolts and ARP studs. There are varying opinions on each. I like the studs a little better because there isn't as much pressure on the block threads. You just have to follow the revised torquing instructions for the studs.

Lucky8 has a good deal on an excellent kit with all the gaskets you will need with the bolts for ~$85? If you call them up they also have the same kit with the ARP studs. It's a bit more expensive, but in my opinion worth it.