Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Question

Can a blown head gasket cause the engine to leak while cold too, like I add coolant and hear it dripping?

Exhaust is a little whitish, no overheating

Old 11-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you adding while running or when off? I presume off if you can hear it dripping. If adding while off to the coolant expansion tank and hear dripping, the tank may be split on bottom. I've seen reports of that. Also possible your thermostat is cracked.

If running, then turned off, and then hear leaking (assuming not running hot) check the throttle heater lines, they are known to leak. Check all hoses. Check for crack in plastic part of radiator. Check heater hoses. Finally, check heads above spark plugs for head gasket leak on the outside side of the heads.Check oil for milky contamination from coolant.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:00 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
Are you adding while running or when off? I presume off if you can hear it dripping. If adding while off to the coolant expansion tank and hear dripping, the tank may be split on bottom. I've seen reports of that. Also possible your thermostat is cracked.

If running, then turned off, and then hear leaking (assuming not running hot) check the throttle heater lines, they are known to leak. Check all hoses. Check for crack in plastic part of radiator. Check heater hoses. Finally, check heads above spark plugs for head gasket leak on the outside side of the heads.Check oil for milky contamination from coolant.
Hello, I checked all the hoses, throttle body heater thing, heater lines. No leaks. The coolant drips out of a cool engine somewhere near the back, could this be a headgasket or cracked block. I'll do a compression test soon.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Probably a head gasket leak interior side of head. Leaking onto the valley gasket and draining off the rear of the engine. A cracked block would be around the thin area between the pistons, typically. That wouldn't leak out the back. Only other water/coolant near firewall is heater core inlet/outlet and the A/C drain nipples.

Edit: Don't forget to check the oil for contamination. If it leaks under the valley gasket, it will pour into the engine oil.

Also, Check for a leak at the base of the metal coolant tube that exits block center front (lower right side of the alternator) then elbows 45 degrees to rubber coolant hose headed to the tee. Either a possible leak at the rubber/metal connection or the rubber o-ring leaking at the block connection. It would drip at the front, where you can hear it. It may be getting onto the valley gasket and draining to the rear.

Last edited by PalmettoDisco; 11-03-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by PalmettoDisco
Probably a head gasket leak interior side of head. Leaking onto the valley gasket and draining off the rear of the engine. A cracked block would be around the thin area between the pistons, typically. That wouldn't leak out the back. Only other water/coolant near firewall is heater core inlet/outlet and the A/C drain nipples.

Edit: Don't forget to check the oil for contamination. If it leaks under the valley gasket, it will pour into the engine oil.

Also, Check for a leak at the base of the metal coolant tube that exits block center front (lower right side of the alternator) then elbows 45 degrees to rubber coolant hose headed to the tee. Either a possible leak at the rubber/metal connection or the rubber o-ring leaking at the block connection. It would drip at the front, where you can hear it. It may be getting onto the valley gasket and draining to the rear.

^^^ what he said. I had a leak at the back where the water passage is on the passenger side. When it was hot, there was a thin jet of coolant. When cold, a slight drip. But if it is an interior leak, you will have a small pond on coolant on the valley. If there, it can also find its way into the bottom end and out your exhaust.