Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Alldata time is 9.8 without secondary air, 11.8 with secondary air...

Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have reason to believe it's not the head gasket. On the passenger side of the motor, the drop is coming from somewhere above where the HG mates with the block. The question now is, are there any coolant hoses behind the intake manifold

Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Mudding

the lower intake manifold gasket holds coolant as well....may be lower intake manifold gasket....would have to partially tear down to determine root cause...

Old 06-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Mudding

Best case time of teardown?

Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Mudding

just need to remove upper intake plenum, and get a look back there either with mirror, boroscope and see if intake area is leaking...if nothing sticks out, I would assume leaikng from heads.....also to note the heater core lines run above right side head over there...

I did my head gaskets a month ago because when I pulled valve covers to do and found coolant around bolts in left side head...

If you had an overheat, or almost overheat....are you basing this off of coolant gauge in cluster? Because if that pegged out you definitely ran hot...

You might also be able to just use a colant pressure tester and see if coolant runs out and determine whats leaking...

Sorry can't be more help than that without vehicle in front of me....

cheers

Old 06-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Mudding

I use the torque app. I just idled up to temp and it held steady at 195 with little drips in the suspected area. When I shut the engine down, a stream of coolant flowed from somewhere above the heads. I used a mirror but it's too tight to look where I want to

Old 06-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Mudding

I confirmed visually that it is the back passenger water jacket in the lower intake. Now, I popped off the upper intake but I'm questioning if it is necessary to remove the brackets that hold the alternator and ac pump. Also, do i need to remove the valve covers and how do i depressurize the fuel system.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by eskiltell
I use the torque app. I just idled up to temp and it held steady at 195 with little drips in the suspected area. When I shut the engine down, a stream of coolant flowed from somewhere above the heads. I used a mirror but it's too tight to look where I want to
Good job on diag. I would just disconnect battery, take belt off, remove alternator, remove ac bolts, move compressor to airbox area still attached, take AC and alternator brackets off, and remove intake.
As far as depressurizing fuel, I would just throw a rag over quick connect when un-doing and it won't splash up...or just let it sitr for an extended period, and fuel pressure shoud be low.....safety glasses as well if you worried...
Might as well do valve cover gaskets as well while you are in there...and either replace fuel injectors, or at minumum replace all fuel injector o-rings...
Fuel injectors are like $80 a set of re-manned on e-bay.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Mudding

Good points. I've found that the only bolts on my truck that are not metric are the valve cover bolts

Old 06-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Mudding

Is it necessary to replace the end clamps on the lower intake gasket?

Quick Reply: Head gasket repair