Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Head Gasket Replacement

I just purchased a 2004 Disco and and looking to tear the top end of the motor to replace the head gaskets since I can visibly see where the gasket is blown. Does anyone have any good tips for me and does anyone know what gaskets I am going to need besides the obvious head gaskets. The tech at land rover told me that I was going to need new head bolts and bolts for pretty much everything since they are one time use bolts. I have never heard of one time use bolts, yes I understand some will need replacement from heat like the manifold bolts and bolts for the exhaust but not everyone. I was wondering also if anyone knows where to get a repair manual for the 2003-2004 Discovery II. It seems to be the only years that I can not find. Any help is better than no help! Thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Look for the RAVE manual, it is a free download and it is the exact same repair manual that the dealerships use.
www.atlanticbritish.com has a head gasket kit, it has every thing you will need all in one kit.
I think it includes new head bolts too but I dont remember.
The only bolts you will need new are the head bolts.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

How many miles on the engine, how mechanical are you?
Go to Atlantic British, oder their complete upper head gasket kit, new head bolts, new t/stat and the go on line and order a set of 8 mm Magnacor wire, easier to replace them when you have the intakes off.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

after just going through this myself a couple of months ago, I would add this to your list....
a day or so before you start.....buy a couple of cans of engine degreaser and let 'er have it !!.then pressure wash from underneath BEING CAREFULL NOT TO OVER DO IT ON THE ELECTRICS , and since they're going to be off anyway this is a good time to replace plugs--wires--hoses---if need be

OH ! I almost forgot , I also needed 4 bottles of Labatt's blue

good luck !

Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just got done with mine 1/2 hour ago and It SUCKED but I am glad I did it my self I cleaned everything!
Also add to your list 4 foot cheater bar, 5 rolls of paper towels, Rubber gloves, Valve spring puller, 6 qrts of cheep oil, Coolant, One deep socket in 5/8 one short socket 5/8, Several dif size extions and I like the empact 45 deg sockets, Dif size scrapers. I also put some hooks in my garage to hold the AC pump and AC mount out of the way!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Mudding

Disco Mike,
My 2004 has 95k miles on it. I purchased it from a friend who bought it new so I know a little bit about it. I am mechanically inclined but this will be the first time I have to go into either of my discoveries, so I wanted to ask some tips from some fellow Land Rover enthusiasts. I planned on changing the wires since I know how much of a pain in the butt they are to do without taking the intake off, I just changed my 2000's. Thank you and I imagine I will be back on here to pick your brain again.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Mudding

Xcellerate,
Thanks for the info, just pressure washed it today so I think I am good there but I imagine I will find some more grease when I get into it. I planned on doing the plugs, wires, and belt since I would be in there but thank you for the tip. I am a country boy from AZ so I will probably pass on the labatt's but I am planning on buying some stock in some coors since I will help their sales in the next month working on this car. Thanks and I will probably be back for some more info.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Mudding

IdahoDisco,
It sounds like you just finished, you have all the small things covered that will make it a lot easier! Thanks and I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Mudding
Default Thanks for the help

I am down to my heads and I took them off and took it to my mechanic who is leveling them because they are a few thousands off. I will let you know how it comes along as my parts come in.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does it typically take to do a head gasket job? (doing it right)

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Replacement