Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headgaskets or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headgaskets or what?

So on as i pulled into work my temp gauge started going up form normal. I just got done replaceing all the hose, thermostate and radiato. Along with the water pump. I panick patk and notice coolant poring out from under neith the truck. Got it towed home. And pulled everything apart thinking i didnt tighting down a hose clamp. Just to put everything back together and notice right behind the alternator bracket coolant was poring out. Just above the exhaust manifold. But out of the front. My question is could this be the spot were the gasket is the weakest and blow out. I have read almost everything on here about headgaskets going out. But have not heard anything with the same location.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that would be it. the headgaskets like to pop at the ends of the heads. i would dig deeper and make sure it isnt the valley pan gasket, but im willing to bet the HG popped.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you need to test it with a pressure test but don't be surprised if it is not the timing case cover leaking,they tend to spray up under the ac compressor or alt.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Pored some more water into it this morning and crawled under to take a look. I could see were water is flowing out. And i cleaned the area around it and got hit in the face buy a chunk of gasket matterial. Not a good sign.looks like ill be pulling the engine apart thro out the week. Lucky i were i work we have a machine shop to get the heads done at. Kinda figured this was going to happen sone or later. 207K on the truck. Things are bound to happen.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Winching

Really sorry to hear that. Glad you caught it before it went into meltdown.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Behind the alternator there is a black pipe that comes up from the engine.
That plpe is held in by one bolt.

Take out the alternator.

Take out that pipe from the intake maniford.

on the bottom of the pipe is an "O" ring.
Yours probably rotted out.

That is probably all the problem is.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Got down to the lowerintake last night. Looks like the intake gasket is shot. Orings are lookeing ok. Going to replace those while im there, and the external front portion of the head looks intack. Got to clean everything up before i find out what went out. The bolts on the intake are a pain to get to, even when everything is apart. And i still want to find out whos idea it was to mount the coil packs like they are.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Winching

Land rovers are designed around those coil packs. Major part of the structure they are.. lol

Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Your Rover

Originally Posted by NWROVERS
So on as i pulled into work my temp gauge started going up form normal. I just got done replaceing all the hose, thermostate and radiato. Along with the water pump. I panick patk and notice coolant poring out from under neith the truck. Got it towed home. And pulled everything apart thinking i didnt tighting down a hose clamp. Just to put everything back together and notice right behind the alternator bracket coolant was poring out. Just above the exhaust manifold. But out of the front. My question is could this be the spot were the gasket is the weakest and blow out. I have read almost everything on here about headgaskets going out. But have not heard anything with the same location.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Drifting

Dug more into last night. The valley pan pretty much fell apart. And the rubber gaskets under the pan came out in mutiple parts. I cleaned everything up. With a can of break clean. And thats when i noticed a piece of gasket material behind the the timing cover. I cleaned it up some more and the gasket litterally broke off and fell to the garage floor. And that brings me up to a new question. How hard is it to chance out that timing cover gasket.

Quick Reply: Headgaskets or what?