Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp alignment procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp alignment procedure?

Does anyone have the correct procedure for this? One is supposed to park the truck x feet from a wall or something and then align the headlamps so that the beams are x feet from the ground and x feet apart. Does anyone have the correct measurements please?

I searched the threads but it was all rule of thumb stuff. I don't want to be continually tinkering with this adjustment. There must be a correct procedure but couldn't find it in RAVE either.

Alan
98 D1

Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah that is how you do it but I dont know the correct numbers.
I think it is 6ft from a wall and then the center of the beam is 3ft off the ground.
But it is different for each car and that may be the ##'s for my wifes car, there isint much in my head but what there is gets all jumbled around.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Question

Well I don't have the proper procedure, and could'nt find it in the manual when I did mine a while ago, but if you're not into much trial & error .......find an older local repair shop they're likely to have one of those old gizmo's that suction cups to the light and has a couple of "leveling bubbles " on it , we used to have them here in NY , I got lucky...my independent shop guy here still had one worked pretty slick and there was no charge for the dust !! they dont use the much any more because most lamps are too "aero" for it to work

Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why do you feel your head lights need to be aligned?
As mentioned it is more trial by error. If you have one light that is way off, first look and see if one of the adjusters is broken, they do fail with age.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Mudding

Because I had to have one of the front fenders rebuilt and then I had to install the new lamp myself at a later date.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Pro Wrench

now that i've cleared out the crap in front of the garage I will take some measurements and post them here

Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Mudding

Thanks so much

Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If I ever feel one of my lights is out of adjustment, I just park next to a building at night, on level ground and adjust out the one that seems off, takes all of 2 or 3 minutes.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench

ok Alan, fire up the tape measure, DI stock tires & springs....no lift (yet), vehicle on flat driveway, headlamps are 10 feet from verticle surface, lights on low beam.....the "center" of the light beam is 32inches up from the ground. The surface of the lamp looks centered between all the adjoining surfaces.....grill / trim piece / hood/ signal light. This is working for me as I get really good depth projection and good side to side cast, but ya gotta realize that this may need to be tweaked for your own situation. Spray some penetrating lube on the light adjusters before you start, and if your vehicle doesn't sit level you may have to acount for that. there's no replacement for a nice clear night and an empty stretch of road to dial it in though. Hope this is of some help

Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Mudding

That's great, thank you. Just one missing measurement - that would control the lateral throw, could you tell me the distance between the lamp "centers"?
Thanks again
Alan

Quick Reply: Headlamp alignment procedure?