Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009 | 07:52 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default headlight washer

Anybody ever install the front headlight washer jets?

Can this be done without removing the bumper?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:00 PM
Winching
Default RE: headlight washer

On a DI you can see the bolts if you lay down underneath the vehicle and look up, you will see the two hoses and it will be fairly obvious..

Mine dont work, I think whatever solenoid lets the fluid get pumped out when the lights are on must be bad.. My windshield ones work, but the Headlight ones dont..

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:32 PM
|
Three Wheeling

It's a DII, hopefully it will be the same. I just ordered the two jets. My DII doesn't have them, just two holes in the front bumper. I want to replace them for aesthetics. It would be nice if they worked, though
Thanks.

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Check by your reservoir for a plug. I'll bet if you find one, you could get a used pump and pop it in. They are controlled by the MFu, and I can't imahine them deleting the circuitry on the controller...

Old 02-09-2009 | 10:35 PM
Rock Crawling

My headlight washer dont work. I jumped the pump and it works and the fuse is good. Is there a relay somewhere?
My rear washer doesnt work either, but I checked everything and it appears the one way valve is no way. I cant blow through it at all.

Old 02-09-2009 | 10:56 PM
6th Gear

I had something odd just start happening with my 98 DI during our ICE Storm in Arkansas. When I turn on my headlights my headlight washer just started working but also my windscreen wipers stay on while the lights are on. The wiper switch works but the windscreen sprayer stopped working. I think it is the contol arms have shorted possibly I am still checking. Dont you just hate the two bolts under the washer fluid container in the wheel well that will not come loose. Anyone have this problem?

Old 02-10-2009 | 06:49 AM
3rd Gear

Switch on head lights and pull 3 times on winscreen washer,on the D2 it works like that.

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:59 AM
TReK

ORIGINAL: llPANCHOll

On a DI you can see the bolts if you lay down underneath the vehicle and look up, you will see the two hoses and it will be fairly obvious..

Mine dont work, I think whatever solenoid lets the fluid get pumped out when the lights are on must be bad.. My windshield ones work, but the Headlight ones dont..
Pancho- you could have a bad washer pump for the headlights. There are 3 separate washer pumps on a D1 - front windscreen, rear windscreen and headlights. Could also be a bad non-return valve in the system and you're not holding the washer switch long enough to get fluid to the headlight washers. The non-return valve for my rear washer is bad so I have to told the button seems like forever before I get fluid to the rear washer. Without the non-return valve all the fluid flows back to the tank or lowest spot in the system when the washer pump turns off.

I had something odd just start happening with my 98 DI during our ICE Storm in Arkansas. When I turn on my headlights my headlight washer just started working but also my windscreen wipers stay on while the lights are on. The wiper switch works but the windscreen sprayer stopped working. I think it is the contol arms have shorted possibly I am still checking. Dont you just hate the two bolts under the washer fluid container in the wheel well that will not come loose. Anyone have this problem?
I stuck my hand down under the washer reservoir and found that on the other side of those nuts are phillips head screws that like to turn when you try to loosen them. I am going to cut or break the nuts off and replace them with normal bolts I can put a wrench on. My other idea is to get sheet metal nuts to slip on the mounting flange at the bottom of the reservoir then just use sheet metal screw up from the wheel well.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:29 AM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: grussell

My headlight washer dont work. I jumped the pump and it works and the fuse is good. Is there a relay somewhere?
My rear washer doesnt work either, but I checked everything and it appears the one way valve is no way. I cant blow through it at all.
I just replaced mine..$7 from the dealer. You can use one out of a mid-90's Jaguar too, but the Jag dealer was $14. When you get the new one, you won't be able to blow through it either, so watch the direction arrow. I figured it was a bad one out of the box, but I plugged it in, and whammy, it worked.

They are all controlled by the MFU on the back of the fuse box. There is a self test for it on here, but don't remeber where. I will try to find it. You have to have your lights on for the headlight washer to work, and it works every third pull of the front washers.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:33 AM
Camel Trophy

found it:

Diagnostic Procedure
1. Close all doors and the tailgate.

NOTE: If the oil pressure switch goes open circuit
(engine is started) during the following procedure,
the MFU will exit the diagnostic mode immediately.

2. Press and hold the heated rear screen switch
and switch on the ignition.
3. Release the heated rear screen switch within 2
seconds and the MFU will beep to indicate that it’s in
diagnostic mode 1.
4. Press the heated rear screen switch; the MFU
will beep twice. In turn, operate each of the following
switches, heated front screen, rear fog guard lamps,
side lights, headlights, front wiper and rear wiper.
The MFU will beep twice each time a switch is oper-ated.
5. Pressing the heated rear screen again will cause
the MFU to enter diagnostic mode 2.
6. The MFU will provide outputs to the following in
order given below:

Heated rear screen relay energised for 2 seconds

Heated front screen energised for 2 seconds

Courtesy lights energised for 2 seconds

Dim dip relay energised for 2 seconds

Rear fog guard lamp energised for 2 seconds

Headlamp power wash energised for half a second

Front wiper energised for half a second

Rear wipe/wash energised for half a second
7. The MFU will then exit the diagnostic mode.

Quick Reply: headlight washer