Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight washers, cruise control, auto on lights, air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight washers, cruise control, auto on lights, air conditioning

4 problems, not just one, figured I would save space here

manual says headlight washers should work ever third time I wash the windshield...nothing, from either one. Do these ever work or should I just ignore them?

Cruise control light in the switch comes on, but the steering wheel switches apparently don't work. what can I do to check this out?

center of the dash at the windshield has something that looks like the auto headlight on relay that my Silverado hd- excepth the cover seems to be missing - should I haave auto on lights or no? If not what is it?

no cold air.... simple recharge or possible larger problem?

Thanks, from my reading here, it seems that our lovable Discos are just a little different than most other cars and I do not want to make a small problem worse.

Rob

Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

First, we need more information. Year and mileage would help to get accurate information. Do you know any of the vehicle's maintenance history?

1. Probably a bad pump for your headlight washers. Some will tell you to not worry about it but I really like having my headlight washers.

2.Cruise control is probably a vacuum leak or a bad ECU. Check all the vacuum lines first. If no vacuum leaks then do a search for the ECU test procedure.

3. I've never heard of a Discovery having auto headlights. Some vehicles have sensors up there to adjust the heater or a/c to compensate for the sun beating down.

4. No cold air could be a bunch of problems but a recharge would be the first step I'd take to figure out the problem.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Mudding

Sorry, 2000 disco, 115,000 miles, no real maintenance history, the last owner offered it to the dealer I bought it from, but they didn't tke it... it was "just oil chnges and tune ups, nothing too interesting" idiots! Judging by the condition of everything, it was very well maintained. Interior and exterior look more like 50 or 60 thousand miles to me.

OK, I will check the pump for them, I like the idea but not if it was not worth the trouble

OK, will do

OK, just thought I would check, I didn't see it in the manual, but thought it was worth asking about

OK, kind of the way I was thinking, but, since you guys have been all through this stuff lready, thought I would ask.

I really ppreciate the help and it is nice not to be belittled for asking what may be stupid questions. I have wanted a Rover since I was a wee tike... almost 50 years.. and getting this one is a rewaal high point in my life.... I smile every time I drive it and I think my family is getting tired of hearing about it. The wife won't let me mount the spare tire to the hood though...

Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 PM
TReK

Whether the headlight washers are worth is purely a personal judgement call. I like having them. It's amazing how little dirt or snow it takes to reduce the amount of light your headlights produce. You can also check behind the front bumper to see if you have any broken hoses going to the washers.

Go to this website and download the RAVE manual. It's the workshop manual for Land Rover and will answer most of your questions. It is the second thing you need read through after your owner's manual to really get familiar with the vehicle.

http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.p...d=13&Itemid=29

Spare tire on the hood would be awesome but I think it might reduce your field of view.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The headlight washers ONLY work WHEN the headlights are on.

The cruise control not working is probably a vacum leak, VERY common on LR's.
Start at the brake pedal and follow the vacuum lines everywhere they go and check for cracks.

Disco's dont have auto on headlights. You can have day time running lights with a simple reprogram of the BCU.

Are you sure that thing you are referring to is not the alarm receiver?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Mudding

OK, going to download the RAVE manual, thank you for the link.

Will check the washers with the headlights ON this time. Then move down the hoses and the pump

Don't want DRLs... I guess the only thing I miss about the Silverado was that the lights came on at night when I started the truck and went off when I shut it off.... just lziness I guess!!

If the alarm receiver in in the middle of the dash right up aagainst the windshield, then yes I am. Thaanks for letting me know what it is. I do like to know pretty much everything about the vehicles I drive.

Thanks for all

Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Were you one of those people who NEVER turned their headlights on because the "car does it for me"?
I really hope not, there are so many of those people who drive in the rain/snow/fog with no lights on because "the car does it for me" and as a person who drives for a living those people need to be shot.
I just needed to rant, but seriously, those people do need to be shot.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:36 AM
TReK

Are you sure that thing you are referring to is not the alarm receiver?
The ultrasonic alarm sensor is in the overhead console. I believe it is the same place the Homelink transmitter is in the D1. D2s have the Homelink in the rear view mirror.

I never even thought to mention the lights had to be on. Guess I took for granted that you realized that. Just proves what happens when I assume.

Some people need, or want, the car to think for them. Both my parents drive Mercedes with automatic headlights and the car turns the headlights on regardless of the light sensor as soon as the windshield wipers come on. My mom's E-class has rain sensing windshield that controls the wipers automatically too. A real no-brainer car. Automatic lights set up properly are a good thing. As for DRL, I think they are a good idea but too many people drive in the middle of the night with just DRL because they can see. They forget they don't have taillights or markers to help others see them. I don't want DRL on either of my vehicles because of the HID lights I have installed but I think they actually do help to prevent accidents. Studies have proven that the human eye can pick out headlights when looking directly into the sun.

Here's a trivia question. Since the human eye detects difference in light color to recognize headlights when looking directly into the sun, isn't it counter-productive to use HID lights that are so close to the color of the sun? Won't they blend in?

Last edited by AK Rover; 04-05-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Robmcin
OK, going to download the RAVE manual, thank you for the link.

Will check the washers with the headlights ON this time. Then move down the hoses and the pump

Don't want DRLs... I guess the only thing I miss about the Silverado was that the lights came on at night when I started the truck and went off when I shut it off.... just lziness I guess!!

If the alarm receiver in in the middle of the dash right up aagainst the windshield, then yes I am. Thaanks for letting me know what it is. I do like to know pretty much everything about the vehicles I drive.

Thanks for all

That is the sunlight sensor, the A/c uses it by sensing the amount of sunlight coming into the car, it then calculates the amount of solar heating affect and passes that to the A/C ECU.
If you press and hold the AUTO switch and Air Distribution switch, then switch on the ignition, the A/C will do a self test of all the inputs. It will show FC in the display and then give a number ref a fault code.

If the sunlight sensor is pooped, you will see code 21 or 22 or both. This will NOT stop the A/c working, if its warm, then as you say a re-gass is the first port of call. I recently had mine done and when connected there was didly squat left in there, 45 mins on the machine and now ice cold again

Old 04-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Were you one of those people who NEVER turned their headlights on because the "car does it for me"?
I really hope not, there are so many of those people who drive in the rain/snow/fog with no lights on because "the car does it for me" and as a person who drives for a living those people need to be shot.
I just needed to rant, but seriously, those people do need to be shot.

No, I was not my left arm works fine for turning lights on...lol I am actually one of those people who get pissed when it is the LAW here in Illinois tht if your wipers are on, so are your headlights.. or supposed to be, but some knuckleheads just don't get it.

I also do not understand why US carmakers do not instal rear fog lights on ALL vehicles. They have to save lives.

Quick Reply: Headlight washers, cruise control, auto on lights, air conditioning