Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007 | 11:14 PM
|
4wd Low
Default Headliner

Has anyone else had problems with a droopy headliner.. Whats the best way to fix it.

Old 09-11-2007 | 11:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Default RE: Headliner

pull it down and re-line it. The fabric is backed by foam that deteriorates over time. You can get some spray aghesive at autoparts stores and pull a corner down,spray and press it back up, but it won't be a permenant fix. You will need to take the whole backer off and put new material on.

Old 09-12-2007 | 08:54 AM
Mudding

I justdid my liner recently (when the truck ran). I took the liner to them and did the install myself. Only about $90 bucks that way! Just be careful of the interior plastic. Land Rover was built for rich kids who don't keep their vehicles long and the plastic reflects that. It gets real brittle in places, but job can be done if you watch what you are doing and don't get in a hurry. Not many shops would do the liner at a discount for bringing it in so check a few places and see if they give you a break. My discount was over $100. Ittook me about 1 hr to get it out, and 2.5 hours to get it back together with experience from my other vehicles in the past.

If you do the job yourself I can give you a few pointers to help save some time and frustration. Good luck either way!

Old 09-12-2007 | 10:00 AM
Three Wheeling

I've heard of glues that may be able to be injected or sprayedbehind the fabric with just making a small cut in the fabric. You may want to check with your local auto parts store.

This is just a low budget, half assed way of doing things though. The right way is to replace the headliner like the guys above said.

Old 09-12-2007 | 10:49 AM
Mudding

I had purchased a new complete OEM headliner panel at aprox. US $450.00 for my 2000 D2. Yes, expensive, but it looks great.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-12-2007 | 12:55 PM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: StevenDiscoII

I had purchased a new complete OEM headliner panel at aprox. US $450.00 for my 2000 D2. Yes, expensive, but it looks great.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Installed?

Old 09-12-2007 | 01:01 PM
Mudding

*okdiscoguy nailed it with the foam liner deteriorating. Thismakes it difficult to use the adhesives. Mine just madea pretty good mess, and the next time you try to patch it up it is worse. Not saying the $6-7 bucks is not worth the effort, usually acceptable for a short period.

If you use the adhesive, I would suggest leaving the headliner installed. As I mentioned above, the more you tinker with this stuff, the more likely you are to break things. If your liner has just started to loosen, that is the best time to try the adhesive as you probably have not stretched the material much (difficult to manage).

Old 09-12-2007 | 01:06 PM
Camel Trophy

I noticed you have an SD too. I have no headliner, but I am pulling the backer from a junker to re-line and put in mine. Anything I should look out for, other than brittle plastic?

Old 09-12-2007 | 02:54 PM
Mudding

Pretty simple really.
The frustration comes trying to line the screws back in on the visors and forward overhead pockets etc. You need to start herefirst.Graban awl (or however it is spelled) and poke holes thru all the screw holes before you install. I used a small waterbased marker (just in case) to mark all holes so I did not spend time wondering where all the extra screws go.
As far as screws, if you don't stab the hole the first time, do not sit there with your high speed drill and try to hit the hole. The material will eventually catch wadding up around the screw damaging the material. Always start with a hand tool and you won't be sorry.

HELPER! I did it without any assistance which sucked but I managed to get it in without bending the board.
*I have seenone that bentcausing a nasty crease (hard to fix).You are most likely tobend or break the board around an area that has a curve so be carefull. Ifyou drop it while partially installed the weight can be enough to cause this as well.

Make sure to install the net above the rear passengerarea before it goes back in the truck, or you will be pulling it back out!

Caution for the rear plastic. I broke one of the standoffs for the piece that covers the alpine windows and the trim around the c pillar. Try not to force anything that is plastic on these vehicles unless you like to try the color match gamefrom new/used parts!
You will need to replace the overhead plastic retainers (similar to what you see holding the fender wells to the fender etc.) as these are usually destroyed when you pull them out.Ask the interior or upholstery shop if they have any that match (they are a couple bucks each from the dealer).

For the most part, all the little trim pieces and visor clips etc. are cheap to replace from what I have experienced.

Hope this helped a little.

Old 09-12-2007 | 05:14 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

ORIGINAL: StevenDiscoII

Installed?
That was just the liner cost. I installed it myself