Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner for leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headliner for leak

Hello again in the wonderful world of disco2 roof leak. Got my disco 2 back from the service for a leak in the front. They said it was the sunroof front. Hose sin drain pan. I looked when they had the roof liner removed and saw one of the nipples on the drain pan was broken. So I had both nipples replaced with aluminum ones installed with adhesive that would hold the disco from a rope its so strong. Nipples drilled out and replaced. Took it to another shop and had this done. Returned the drain pan to the service center they reinstalled it and I also had the headliner replaced because the shop got grease all over the old one. Not the greatest rover shop even though they have a good reputation. Now I am getting a leak again. If I park it with the passenger side down hill no leak. If I park it with the drivers side down hill it leaks and soakes my headliner from the front of sunroof across front drivers window and side drivers window. Water is coming in and running down hill towards side window. I looked and see both hoses attached to drain nipples from removing the trim around front sunroof. Im thinking hose on drivers side drain pan clogged when they reinstalled it. My question is how hard is it to remove the headliner so I can find the leak myself and fix it right. Can I just take the front down or do I have to remove the whole thing. Im not taking it back to the morons that I paid 1800$ to fix it in the first place

as they are really not a great shop. I keep this rover in mint shape. But this really has me maybe looking to get rid of it for good.
Any help would really be apprcted. I bought this knew in 2000 and would really hate to get rid of it. But I hate driving with it raining inside.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

It could be the wind shield seal as well, check both top corners as per the attached TSB

Sunroof drain are easy to check :
  • Put some water in a bottle
  • Open the sun roof all the way
  • Pour a bit of water in the trays where the drains are - if water comes out under your Disco the drains are not likely blocked
  • You need to check all 4 corners
If not water come out get underneath and make sure the drains are clear

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-15-2020, 05:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

I did this recently and I am a total noob who almost always screws installations up. For me it was time consuming but not hard. I documented mine here: Headliner

Old 01-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Thank you the pics are great. How do you remove the side pillars like the a pillars and the one in the ones in the front on the windshield without breaking them.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

I just grabbed a hold of them from the long part and pulled them. They popped off pretty easy.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Just got done doing both my sunroofs, they leaked like the Titanic!. The stupid lil' plastic square box that the drain nipple is on leaks where it it's caulked/sealed to the metal lower pan. The silicon caulk the factory used failed on mine. Take a scribe and a pointy knife and get that crap outt'a the joint seam! Then use your favorite sealant to caulk the snot outt'a it.
Now go around and check the 14 T screws that hold the lower pan on. Both of mine had water drips at the screws because they were loose. Lightly snug 'em up. Water test time! Pour water around on roof not inside the drip pan! You are checking the sealing of the upper assm/trim to the roof top. Drips inside?? You got to pull the whole assm. No leaks?? Pour water in pan to check your repair of drain and screws.
It's really not that hard to pull the complete assm if you have an outside trim to roof top seal failure. Remove motor, unscrew lower pan and let it hang, (DON'T TRY TO PULL HOSES OFF PLASTIC NIPPLES!!) upper assm will lift off the roof top or you might have to use a fillet knife run around between it and the roof to cut any clinging factory sealant. Use good sealant for the job and make sure mating surfaces are perfectly cleaned and prepped. I also pulled the rubber glass seal and cleaned it and it's channel plus some white lith grease for the mechanism. Caulk bead, drop in upper assm, 14 screws on bottom pan, and 3 screws on motor.
Too easy!!

Last edited by whiterabbit; 01-15-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks everyone for the help. Im going to get on it tomorrow. Ill update as to what I find. Probably drive it around for a week or so without the headliner after I fix the leak just to make sure. Would love to keep her.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I drove mine around for six months without the headliner in it. I ended up having one broken hose drain nipple on the front sunroof, a leaky rear sunroof to body gasket, AND due to a poorly installed front windshield, the upper passenger corner leaked at highway speeds. I fixed all the above, been 3? years now and I just noticed a new leak coming through my headliner at the upper corner passenger side!!! Not happy.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

It's amazing that a country that's known for crappy rainy weather can't make a vehicle that doesn't leak.........from everywhere!

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Three Wheeling

Boy do I agree with that last statement. I have finished fixing my leak. Took down the headliner and checked everything. The leak was coming from when the rover people I had it in to to fix the leak, they did not run a bead of silicone around the edge of the roof before they dropped the sunroof back in. Morons, just complete morons. So I did that rechecked my drain lines were good and no leaks from front edges (I had sealed those before) also checked for leaks from the front windshield. Everything good. So reassembled everything and replaced all of the screws that they also left out when they did the work. It just amazes me the level of bad service in the auto industry anymore. I have other cars maseratiQP, Ferrari F-430. Never a issue with the service people on those. Its funny it actually costs me less to have those worked on. So Im going to keep her now that I know so much about the upper parts. I really cannot thank everyone enough for all the advice and help with everything. Rover owners are the best. Our other rover a Range Rover supercharged is under warranty. It is going to stay that way. Ha. Thank you everyone again.

The following 2 users liked this post by lndrover@carolina.rr.com:
No Doubt (01-17-2020), Wheelspin (04-30-2020)