Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner and Windshield Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headliner and Windshield Leak

I've been tracing some roof leaks while it's been raining heavily this past week. I've had a long time leak from the sunroof control box/rear view mirror area under heavy rain. I pulled back the headliner and I've identified what I believe to be 2 sources of leaks. The first is coming from the windshield - it looks like its coming through the seam where it connects to the frame. The second is from the sunroof motor - it appears that water is collecting in the troughs on either side of the motor in the sunroof pan and when I turn or move it will come through the motor and into the control box mounted to the headliner. The sunroof drains do not appear to be clogged but I don't understand how they are supposed to drain the water with the trough the way it is.

For the windshield leak I put silicone all along the interior where the seam is but unfortunately last night water got int. While I wasn't present to see it actually happen I left a trough on the dash and it collected a decent amount of water. I siliconed the motor area and sealed off either side of the trough so the water can only roll towards the drains. There was no signs of water from this area.

Below are some videos. Let me know what I should do to address the windshield leak issue!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Azv...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M1S...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zje...ew?usp=sharing

Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Search my post from the last week - I posted pics in a thread about sunroof motor leaks

Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Mudding

I did and I took care of the sunroof leaks per above but struggling with windshield. I don't know where it's getting in from. Doesn't look like it could get through the weather stripping at the top of the roof. Could it be on the side rain rails?

Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, there was a TSB on the roof/windshield leaks. You need to silicone the outside of the roof in the front corners of the side drip rails.

Attached Files

Last edited by Extinct; 06-13-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Mudding

I'm familiar with the bulletin but I would expect the water to leak from the side A pillars and not from seemingly the middle of the windshield. Unless its traveling down to the middle and leaking?

Old 06-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

your windshield upper seal can also leak in the middle. Peel up the top edge and put a bead of silicone between the roof and the seal

Old 06-13-2019, 02:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
your windshield upper seal can also leak in the middle. Peel up the top edge and put a bead of silicone between the roof and the seal
Peel the stripping from the outside on the roof? I've scared I won't be able to get it back in..

Old 06-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by originalpy
Peel the stripping from the outside on the roof? I've scared I won't be able to get it back in..
Just put plastic trim tool under the edge, and start pumping in silicone. Athough I suspect the leak is from the corners and it is just leaking in the middle.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by originalpy
I'm familiar with the bulletin but I would expect the water to leak from the side A pillars and not from seemingly the middle of the windshield. Unless its traveling down to the middle and leaking?
Mine was doing the exact same thing maybe a month for like 6 months. I could not find the leak anywhere and had no idea it was a known issue by land rover. I laid silicone down almost the entire drip rail and I was about ready to just get a new windshield but then I noticed the little metal section peeling. It's so apparent now and I can't believe I missed it for so long. I used a hose to make sure that was where it was coming from and then pumped it full of clear silicone and good as new. I'll post a picture of mine if you need it but this picture from that technical information thing from land rover shows it...

Old 06-13-2019, 11:07 PM
Winching
Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bertha
Mine was doing the exact same thing maybe a month for like 6 months. I could not find the leak anywhere and had no idea it was a known issue by land rover. I laid silicone down almost the entire drip rail and I was about ready to just get a new windshield but then I noticed the little metal section peeling. It's so apparent now and I can't believe I missed it for so long. I used a hose to make sure that was where it was coming from and then pumped it full of clear silicone and good as new. I'll post a picture of mine if you need it but this picture from that technical information thing from land rover shows it...
Please post some pics. I currently have the headline er off and i’m tuning up the sunroof drains.

Quick Reply: Headliner and Windshield Leak