Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads off see pics...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongregor
So I should run 10w 40 as stated above from Solberg?
Yes, it is the right weight and has more detergents therefore doing a better job of cleaning your engine.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by aarongregor
So I should run 10w 40 as stated above from Solberg?
Not the 10-40, 0W-40... Probably the best passenger car motor oil Mobil makes. Has a ton of European manufacturer approvals (BMW, MB, VW/Audi, Porsche etc). Excellent cold flow characteristics and a great additive package.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I hate Mobil 1, big waste of money if you ask me.
If you have been changing your oil every 3,000 miles and using Mobil 1 and your engine looks like that that should tell you something.
Even with the 10w-30 your engine should not look like that when using a "full syn" motor oil and changing it that often, and I use the term full synthetic lightly.
Mobil 1 is not a full syn motor oil.

I have not had my engine apart, but looking in the oil filler my engine does not look like that and I have over 209k on her.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
I hate Mobil 1, big waste of money if you ask me.
If you have been changing your oil every 3,000 miles and using Mobil 1 and your engine looks like that that should tell you something.
Even with the 10w-30 your engine should not look like that when using a "full syn" motor oil and changing it that often, and I use the term full synthetic lightly.
Mobil 1 is not a full syn motor oil.

I have not had my engine apart, but looking in the oil filler my engine does not look like that and I have over 209k on her.
I don't want to start a war here but please, Mobil 1 is one the best oils on the market. No joke, I work for a major oil co and it's not ExxonMobil :-P

Kind of a crappy pic but here is my engine on M1 0w-40 @ 87K ON 5K oil change intervals. Great Used Oil Analysis reports as well.

I should add... I have since switched to the Rotella T6 Syn 5W-40. On my first run and will post the UOA report.

Name:  lrengine.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  78.1 KB

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 12-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

curious... does the synth rotella still have the high zinc content? i noticed that only the dyno oil rotella has the official requirement specs listed on the bottle now. its getting cold now almost near freezing in the mornings when i go to work, so its about time for an oil change, and id like to go thinner and maintain 40w hot, but was worried that its all synthetic at that point.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi
Not the 10-40, 0W-40... Probably the best passenger car motor oil Mobil makes. Has a ton of European manufacturer approvals (BMW, MB, VW/Audi, Porsche etc). Excellent cold flow characteristics and a great additive package.
I'm with you on that. I used that on my 01 Audi A6 2.7 twin turbo (with plenty of extra HP to help cook the oil) and put 100K miles on. I also used it on my 02 GTI 1.8 Turbo (again, with plenty of extra power). I currently use it on my 05 S4 with the 4.2L 40 valve V8 and have since day one. I track the car sometimes, and have about 70K on her now with zero issues. It takes 10 qts... so just need to find it on sale!
For the Disco, I use M1 most of the time, but go with the High Mileage 10W40. Seems to take the abuse fine as well. Also, I have sent oil samples from all my cars to Blackstone labs to be analyzed (yeah, I'm kinda nuts like that too).

Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
curious... does the synth rotella still have the high zinc content? i noticed that only the dyno oil rotella has the official requirement specs listed on the bottle now. its getting cold now almost near freezing in the mornings when i go to work, so its about time for an oil change, and id like to go thinner and maintain 40w hot, but was worried that its all synthetic at that point.
Yes sir, it is a heavy duty engine oil and has plenty of zinc and phosphorous Many of the same benefits as the regular Rotella T but even more protection in extreme conditions.

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I'm with you on that. I used that on my 01 Audi A6 2.7 twin turbo (with plenty of extra HP to help cook the oil) and put 100K miles on. I also used it on my 02 GTI 1.8 Turbo (again, with plenty of extra power). I currently use it on my 05 S4 with the 4.2L 40 valve V8 and have since day one. I track the car sometimes, and have about 70K on her now with zero issues. It takes 10 qts... so just need to find it on sale!
For the Disco, I use M1 most of the time, but go with the High Mileage 10W40. Seems to take the abuse fine as well. Also, I have sent oil samples from all my cars to Blackstone labs to be analyzed (yeah, I'm kinda nuts like that too).
All great cars! Especially the S4, one of the greatest sedan I've ever driven and yes, the M1 0W-40 would have performed admirably in all those applications as I'm sure your used oil analysis reports showed that. A H/M oil maybe good for him but he's taking it in the shorts on cold start ups. Does OP live in a cold climate?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi

All great cars! Especially the S4, one of the greatest sedan I've ever driven and yes, the M1 0W-40 would have performed admirably in all those applications as I'm sure your used oil analysis reports showed that. A H/M oil maybe good for him but he's taking it in the shorts on cold start ups. Does OP live in a cold climate?
Each time I had the oil tested in those cars (even after track days), they said I could run the oil much longer so I was impressed. Regardless, I still change it our frequently. Good insurance, especially with the turbo cars!
I plan on doing an analysis at the next change on the Disco. I just did it a few weeks ago, but want to drain early and see how it goes. The Castrol Edge 10w40 was on sale including the K&N filter for free, so went with that for 1/2 price over M1 with the M1 filter for this round.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The $12,000 engine in my Sprinter blew up at 162,000 miles.
Came from the factory with Mobil 1 0w-40, changed every 10,000 miles and used only Mobil 1 0w-40.
OEM speced 15,000 mile oil changes.
Sorry, but my $12,000 says Mobil 1 is crap motor oil.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I'm with you on that. I used that on my 01 Audi A6 2.7 twin turbo (with plenty of extra HP to help cook the oil)
I too, used M1 in my '01 Stage 3 A6 2.7T. I changed it every 3 - 4k. Running 18-22psi of boost you wanna make sure your internals are properly lubed.

I run T6 5-40 in the Disco and change it every 3k.

Quick Reply: Heads off see pics...