Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartbreak

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And another LandRover D2 nightmare story...So many of us learned the hard way that these motors are simply timebombs. Sorry man ....it sux but you can make it better with this advice.
First there are lower cost ways to bandaid the issue with replacement original stock motors that may detonate for the same reason yours has and if you want to you can try to fix the real issues yourself with rebuilding your motor with better components, but for piece of mind..
Here is the best solution. I know this first hand!
Get 6-9k together (motor and some labor)for a new/ remanufactured longblock D2 motor, call Cannibal V8 or GPR or Atlantic British for a TopHat lined replacement D2 motor. These are practically bulletproof and are much better options than a stock replacement. These all have various warranties, and some upgrades for better camshafts. You will also need New Oil pump gears or gears with a Front cover and a new 180 degree therm.
Always have a referred LR Independent shop install and maintain for you. You will be raped by the Dealerships...stay away! These D2 SUVs are not low cost maintenance. Expect to pay to maintain them.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"walk away let the bank repo it, you owe more than it worth and your just going to get deeper. you can buy 04 for $5000."

Terrible advice. The result of that would be simply that you end up owing the bank the balance between what they sell if for at auction (very little) and the loan value. You'd also ruin your credit rating for at least seven years.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I'm the ONLY person who drives my Disco. They're a ticking time bomb, and if you're not constantly on the lookout for overheating, strange noises, leaks, and other minor symptoms of failure. You'll have to put a new engine in it, one thing fails, and they rip themselves to pieces pretty quick.

I'm moderately mechanical, and I've learned a lot owning my Discovery / doing my own work. But these vehicles are almost a weekly project, especially if you buy a high-milage used truck that's been neglected for 90,000 Miles by the the wealthy douche canoe who wanted to look cool sitting in traffic 4 hours a day.

Luckily, I paid $5,600 for my 04 SE with 93,000 miles.
I've had to invest about $1,000 into repairs and bringing the maintenance up to current.

Sorry about your misfortune, these vehicles have a bad reputation for this exact reason. If you're going to own a Disco, you MUST be mechanical. Or loaded... Either works I guess.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Ill be the first, if you lived in the new england area I would gladly help you out in my spare time fixing it. Wouldn't cost a thing in labor, just parts. I learned a long time ago help those who need help, defend those who cannot defend themselves, and always know somebody with a tow truck! Stg

Old 05-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scootyg69
Ill be the first, if you lived in the new england area I would gladly help you out in my spare time fixing it. Wouldn't cost a thing in labor, just parts. I learned a long time ago help those who need help, defend those who cannot defend themselves, and always know somebody with a tow truck! Stg

Old 05-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Traviss
Just bought my Land Rover Disco 2003 SE7 from M and I motors near Chicago in Aug. of 2013 88,000 miles on it from Kentucky. I started noticing over heating, and a loud ticking noise when idoling. I took it to my local land rover dealer in Wisconsin, he tested it and said there where many problems with the engine... Thermostat stuck closed, exhaust gas leaking into cooling system, warn out oil pump, dropped cylinder sleve inside engine block, bad valves, and piston problems. I don't know what to do I still owe $7,000 on it, the mechanic said I need a new engine, and estimated the cost with labor at $14,000.00. I can't believe there are this many problems with the engine, I only put 6,000 miles on it since I have owned it, and did everything by the book. What should I do? Travis
Sadly it's a bummer, I sympathise. Try get hold of a used motor, say a 4.0 or even a 4.6 and get some help to drop it in. First try get some help from the garage who sold it to you. Unfortunately V8 LR motors have issues and are quite fragile if not looked after, probably why I drive diesel oilers. Hope things work out OK as you owe a lot of wonga on it. 14K for a motor and labor seems an awful lot as there must be many around cheaper than that, even half that price.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey man I have been there before.

I went to a dealer and to a local "Land Rover Wizard" and they both said- blown head gasket, and another bucket list of things. I did lots of investigation and lots of self repairs and with lots of help from this board have been running 15,000 miles since I supposedly had a blown head gasket.

Never EVER go to a dealer in regards to a used Disco.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by scootyg69
Holy ****! I second that, I live one town over from scooty in Rindge, NH. I'm more than happy to help- I currently have two range rovers and a disco 2 in my yard that I'm always tweaking and having fun with.

/waves at scooty - small world

Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To aaron and scooty;

You fellas are a dying breed. Helping someone when down. Tip my hat to you fellas...

I'm in Boxford, Ma. North Shore area.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Drifting

Aaron, I'm just starting my adventure with an 04, this spring/summer is going to be my maintenance period on her, I've been slowly knocking stuff off the list. Going to pick up a nanocom and probably the autonomy so I can do multiple cars, we'll have to get together and compare LR issues!! Stg