Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heartbreak

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gbob, right next door, guy has 5 or 6 right now. I bought it, Gareth serviced it with new head gaskets, SAI tubes, steering box and a few other odds and ends, didn't cost me a dime, all done before I took delivery. Good guy and very knowledgeable. Stg

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I disagree with Dane,

Buy any premium $40k + vehicle 10 to 15 years old with 100k miles or greater for 15 to 20% of original cost and you WILL HAVE maintenance issues to deal with if the vehicle is still intact at all.

If you are changing a head gasket every 30k you are doing something wrong.

Subaru have more head gasket issues than Rover V8s!

As mentioned in another thread make sure to buy the one with the most documented service history, not the cheapest one you find.

Edit: I also agree with RoverMasterTech... I've been told more than once that I needed a new engine for $10k plus and it was not true.

Dave, I understand everything has its maintenance, don't kid youself though, the Rover has four times as much as any other truck I have ever worked on, its the reason why you can buy a once 50,000$ luxury truck... for $4,000. The 80 series Land Cruisers, a premium vehicle, almost a 20 year old truck with 200k+ miles on them still have a better reliability record than a D2, they are way over built, and they have a better resale record, still, after 20 years and 200k+ miles in decent condition.

I'm just saying, look at ANY other SUV, and you will see a few things here and there, some quirks, but that's about it. A sensor here, a water pump leak here, but NEVER a headgasket blowing at 80k miles, or an engine slipping a liner, along with failing sunroofs, door actuators failing left and right, non serviceable hubs, non serviceable front driveshaft which has killed numerous amounts of transmissions, abs faults from every single possible direction, and tons of other quirks. Most Land Rovers are an enthusiasts vehicle.

I am an enthusiast though, I have been told by nearly every one of my family members to sell it, but I love working on the Land Rover, its a way different truck, it has character. But If posted my repair list along with the price of the parts you'd be amazed.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RoverMasterTech know what he's doing... he's worked on my D2 a few times and kept it running great

all the best with your truck

scott

Old 05-07-2014, 04:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you used Winston and his shop?

Used Cars Newbury | Used Pickup Trucks Newbury | Internet Cars Unlimited Inc. Newbury MA 01951

Gareth is good. He's done some work for me on my '03 as well.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I looked thier

Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Drifting

Yup, he's got a nice D1 there right now.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by scootyg69
Aaron, I'm just starting my adventure with an 04, this spring/summer is going to be my maintenance period on her, I've been slowly knocking stuff off the list. Going to pick up a nanocom and probably the autonomy so I can do multiple cars, we'll have to get together and compare LR issues!! Stg
For sure man, if you ever need help or an extra LR opinion let me know- I've done, head gaskets, exhausts, belts, prop shaft, ACE finagle, trailer wiring etc.

Originally Posted by gbob
To aaron and scooty;

You fellas are a dying breed. Helping someone when down. Tip my hat to you fellas...

I'm in Boxford, Ma. North Shore area.
Heya gbob, just moved here actually from your neck of the woods (Newburyport), know Gareth as well, good guy but a little mixed on service there- but the times I needed work done on my 00 Disco he had a Maserati and some Lambo or Ferrari in the shop, so I sort of don't blame him for prioritizing. Which in turn forced me to learn things about my engine that I never would otherwise.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Dane!
I am an enthusiast though, I have been told by nearly every one of my family members to sell it, but I love working on the Land Rover, its a way different truck, it has character. But If posted my repair list along with the price of the parts you'd be amazed.
Sounds like every girlfriend I've tried to keep- yea I pick my cars like my girlfriends.

I like the abuse and fixing things for a moment of titillation albeit for a lost cause.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

The old saying is true, The hotter the girl, the higher the maintenance!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Drifting

I have to agree, if I could add up what I've put towards women and then towards my rover then I would see that I should have bought the rover 20+ years ago.....