Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated seats trouble....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heated seats trouble....

My heated seats are acting up. I havent used them since last year and this past week they would have been nice to have. Here's the deal, sometimes they work, most of the time they dont. When they happen to work, the drivers side gets very hot, im not sure if its the same for the passenger.

I have done some research and checked the fuses (im pretty sure I checked all of them for the heated seats). Theswtiches DOlight up when pushed, do I ruled that out. BUTI did find one post that might be my issue:

ORIGINAL: Jst4fun

What I finally found was my heating element was open (broke).
Where the element was seperated, I spliced it with a crimp from RS and has been working great ever since.
You have to remove trim and seat cover to acess cusion. The area that is open will be obvious, burn mark on the foam of seat cusion.

Good luck!

Regards,

Nick

Can anyone explain this to me in depth? Or as Michael Scott would say "Explain this to me like I was a five year old". I dont exactly know what he meant by removing the trim (what trim?) and then how to fix it if this is the issue.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Heated seats trouble....

Give me an idea of what you mean by very hot. Are we talking keeping your butt nice and warm or on the verge of catching fire? According to the owner's manual the seat heaters are supposed to be between 79 and 97 degrees. Does it feel like they are getting hotter than 97?

If the element is broken then your seats won't get hot. Think of your heating element as a path for electricity to flow through. If there is a break in that path then the electricity can not flow therefore no heat. Basic electronics: electricity flow from positive to negative. One end of your element is the positive side (power from battery) and the other end is negative (ground). (I know someone is going to chime in and say that electricity actually goes negative to positive, but it doesn't matter. You get the idea. Electricity moves from one pole (pos. or neg.) to the other.)

What he is saying about removing the trim, I believe, is removing the trim pieces around the seat so the cover from the seat cushion can be removed. Since yours work intermittently the element is not your problem. Removing the cover from the seat is a lot of unnecessary work.

Off the top of my head, I would think that your problem is your switch going bad. Looking at the RAVE CD there are no relays between the switch and the heating element so that would mean, to me anyway, the switch is failing.