Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heated windshield plug/wire

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
Default heated windshield plug/wire

Just had windshield replaced on my 2004.The driver's side works, but passenger side does not work. Both plugs get power, but I notice the wire colors don't match up on the passenger side. Purple is going to black. Is that the problem? Can somebody check thier truck for me?

Old 11-19-2022, 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Ooh, I can’t recall how it was on my ‘00, but I’m going to put a heated windshield in my ‘04, so I’d like to know this as well.

But to be productive, maybe put a meter to the posts on the side that isn’t working and do a continuity test? If you get tone on the side that works, but not on the side that doesn’t, I suspect you got a bad windshield.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by longtallsally
Ooh, I can’t recall how it was on my ‘00, but I’m going to put a heated windshield in my ‘04, so I’d like to know this as well. But to be productive, maybe put a meter to the posts on the side that isn’t working and do a continuity test? If you get tone on the side that works, but not on the side that doesn’t, I suspect you got a bad windshield.
turns out that my passenger side fails the resistance test (no resistance), so that's the reason my passenger side wasn't working. I'm still not sure why the plug wires don't match, or whether they should. That may also be an issue.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailmix
turns out that my passenger side fails the resistance test (no resistance), so that's the reason my passenger side wasn't working. I'm still not sure why the plug wires don't match, or whether they should. That may also be an issue.
When you say "fails the resistance test" are you referring to the windshield not having any resistance or the truck side having no resistance? Your windshield should definitely have resistance because the heated windshield is a giant resistor and the truck side should be an open circuit when the heater is off (and 12V when on). The colors on the plug shouldn't matter, the heating element in the windshield doesn't care about the polarity of the electricity.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by greisinb
When you say "fails the resistance test" are you referring to the windshield not having any resistance or the truck side having no resistance? Your windshield should definitely have resistance because the heated windshield is a giant resistor and the truck side should be an open circuit when the heater is off (and 12V when on). The colors on the plug shouldn't matter, the heating element in the windshield doesn't care about the polarity of the electricity.
the windshield side on passenger side has no resistance.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailmix
the windshield side on passenger side has no resistance.
It won’t work if there’s even one tiny break in the filament inside the glass. This might be the cause.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
It won’t work if there’s even one tiny break in the filament inside the glass. This might be the cause.

I'm pretty sure that would be a terrible design. I have one or two bad elements in my windscreen, and the rest still work. Like the rear window defroster...front is likely a parallel set of resistor elements. Probably the tape connector fried/failed....

Old 11-20-2022, 11:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by XRAD
I'm pretty sure that would be a terrible design. I have one or two bad elements in my windscreen, and the rest still work. Like the rear window defroster...front is likely a parallel set of resistor elements. Probably the tape connector fried/failed....
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I very well might be wrong but I've read this elsewhere long ago when I first got our disco and was trying to figure out why the windscreen wasn't heating. It ended up being that it needed to be "activated" by the Nanocom.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:10 PM
Winching
Received 129 Likes on 113 Posts

never did understand why ROW landy's got the heated front windscreen and we got a defroster - makes zero sense - must be some big government regulation

Old 11-20-2022, 04:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,068 Posts

No it was an option in the US, I have several that have the heated front screen.

Quick Reply: heated windshield plug/wire