Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Windshield Question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Heated Windshield Question???

Yikes! Good question and something I've been wondering since I have a crack starting at the bottom of mine. I'll have to make damn sure I have windshield protection on my insurance.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jkid

Yikes! Good question and something I've been wondering since I have a crack starting at the bottom of mine. I'll have to make damn sure I have windshield protection on my insurance.
You don't need windshield protection. As long as you don't have just liability 99% of insurance companies will pay for it.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, I don't think this is a liability issue. I believe it would be a claim against your comprehensive insurance - less deductible. In my case, I have a $1000 deductible so the winshield would be 100% out of my pocket. ;-(

Geico already dings me over $2600/ year for the "privledge" of driving the '04 Land Rover. And that includes the high deductible....

But that's a whole-nother topic!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NWDiscoRover2004

Hmmm, I don't think this is a liability issue. I believe it would be a claim against your comprehensive insurance - less deductible. In my case, I have a $1000 deductible so the winshield would be 100% out of my pocket. ;-(

Geico already dings me over $2600/ year for the "privledge" of driving the '04 Land Rover. And that includes the high deductible....

But that's a whole-nother topic!
Ooops, had it backwards. Either way, there should be no claim for the replacement of a windshield.

No harm in calling glass repair places that specialize in this. (That's what I did to get mine replaced)

Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jkid

Kentucky (my state) is one among several that requires all insurance carriers to replace cracked windshields w/o requiring policy holders (or charging them) to go through the typical claim process for safety reasons mainly. Also at issue was the high number of claims, and doing it the new way actually proved to be a cost savings so I'm told.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Oh, my that would be nice. Not the case here in Washington State. Thus my comment about pulling over the truck which kicked up the rock. In such a case their insurance pays to have your window replaced.

Otherwise either you pay for the replacement or do a claim against your comprehensive coverage.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Mudding

tee51397,

So do I understand that my DII came with the heated windsheild and all i need to do is add the switch and the relay? It there any additional wiring involved. I would love to be able to heat my windsheild.

Fred

Old 01-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Fred,
If you see little hair thin vertical squiggly lines in your windscreen then you have a heated windscreen. If the windscreen is a heated one there are two leads that plug in on both the driver and pass side under the hood (they're on the flat body coloured steel above the firewall, pretty much right at the base of the windscreen). Clearly the leads from the windscreen must be plugged in in order to work. Then all you need is the switch and prob the relay and it will work ('01 didn't need relay, '03 did).

On my '01 I had my windscreen replaced with a heated one when I got a crack (Thanks, insurance!!) and I thought it had to be hooked up to the computer at the dealer to be told it had the heated windscreen. My '03 came with a heated windscreen but no switch or relay. I installed the switch and nothing happened, the little light on the switch would not come on. When I took it to the dealer for a couple of other things I asked them to program it to let it know it had the heated windscreen. When I picked it up they told me the tech said the windscreen wasn't something that had to be programmed..... but, and maybe it is coincidence, the light on the switch suddenly started working from the second I picked it up from the dealer. So bottom line is, as for programming, I dunno.

hope that all made sense.
-T-