Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater core

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater core

i gotta stupid question. after seeing a mist of coolant on my windshield i ordered a heater core from parts warehouse. it did not come with the o-rings and clips. they seem not to sell them seperatly. i guess i will try my luck at the local parts store or hardware store. it's a 2000 disco 2.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That heater core should have come with the seals and clamps.

This is very important since the clamps are in a U section with 90 degree ears with small nuts and screws to stretch the clamps holding the pipes to the heater core.

Extreme care has to be exercised when clamping each pipe to the heater core stub since it can cripple and destroy your new core.

I think your best bet is to check with a dealer for the clamps.
T/V

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

DII heater core good luck if it anything like the Range rover heater cores.

does anyone remember the days when evaporators were under the hood, and a heater core meant that you had to remove 2 5/16 screws and lifted the core out.

Last edited by drowssap; 03-20-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Drifting

yeah i geuss the heater core i ordered does not come with them. other ones did. i found some for a 2001 disco. should be the same right? i mean the heater core was listed for the same years.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Drifting

well, i will never order through auto parts warehouse again. not only did my heater core not come with o-rings and clamps, they dont even carry the o-rings and clamps. it seems like no one does seperatly. i tryed some o-rings from my local auto parts store with the same clamps and pressureized the system. and they leaked. so before i put this pain in the a** back together i will order from my nearest dealer. in denver. and i am sure i will get a** raped. and what sadistic peice of crap designed the location of this thing? i have done many heater cores before on other types of vehicles. first time i have ever pulled a steering column to do so though. but my wife loves this peice of crap.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Drifting

oh yeah the ones i thought i found were wrong i guess.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off its not a piece of crap----try something like an Audi to do or a Jaguar!

The dealer price for the core is way way too expensive!
For the same thing at about 25% cheaper try Car Quest and ask for their Worldpack supply line.

You have just fell into the aftermarket parts trap, items that are incomplete or sub standard.

This why in many cases pro repair shops want fit aftermarket parts.
Best of luck
T/V

Old 03-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should of ordered from atlantic british. They have the O rings and the proper clamps. Good luck with getting those clamps on, you might want to start the truck and make sure it doesn't leak before you put the dash back in. *my experience*

Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
DII heater core good luck if it anything like the Range rover heater cores.

does anyone remember the days when evaporators were under the hood, and a heater core meant that you had to remove 2 5/16 screws and lifted the core out.
As I get older, I wistfully remember my old Series Rover. The heater box was under the hood along with the heater core. I upgraded to the Rovers North Mount Mansfield heater and it was fine at keeping the cab warm. Changing a heater core wasn't much more difficult that changing the oil.

Maybe I should start looking for an old 109 truck cab. After tearing apart a P38a, the simplicity is mighty inviting.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:44 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tuercas viejas
First off its not a piece of crap----try something like an Audi to do or a Jaguar!

The dealer price for the core is way way too expensive!
For the same thing at about 25% cheaper try Car Quest and ask for their Worldpack supply line.

You have just fell into the aftermarket parts trap, items that are incomplete or sub standard.

This why in many cases pro repair shops want fit aftermarket parts.
Best of luck
T/V
A friend of mine that works on Ferrari's said the Enzo walked out on to the shop floor one day with a heater core. He placed it down on the shop floor and proceeded to instruct his techs to build a Testarossa around it.

The funny thing is I heard a Land Rover tech say the same thing about Spencer King and the original Range Rover Classic.

Quick Reply: heater core