Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Core Bypassed By Previous Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core Bypassed By Previous Owner

Hi,

I am the proud new owner of a 97 Discovery with many small problems (but hey, I got a smokin deal so who cares)! One of the issues is a heater core that was unhooked and bypassed by looping a heater hose from one line to the other. I have discovered (thanks to this wonderful forum) that the original issue was not a heater core but plugged A/C drains. When I drove it home from Utah the floor was soaked by the time I got home. I hopped online, found this forum, and the issue was fixed within minutes. Then I put two and two together and realized that the heater core was probably bypassed trying to fix the water on the floor issue.

So here's the deal... I ran water through it for about ten minutes and I see no moisture inside at all so I am guessing it's good. When I first put the water to it I got a flood of antifreeze which means its holding fluid ok and probably not a problem. My only issue is I don't know which line goes where. Top to top or bottom to top (you know, from the output above the right valve cover to the heater core input). My second problem... I only have one of the original lines. It has a slight bend in it so I don't know if replacing the second line with a straight heater hose will work or not.

Any input on which line goes where and if I can do this with a straight heater hose would be great. I really don't want to go to the stealer to buy a heater hose if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance,

Erick

Old 07-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Heater Core Bypassed By Previous Owner

Some people bypass the heater core, not because they leak but the fresh air comes in cooler without the coolant running thru the heater core.
I am going to by pass mine soon.
Mike

Old 07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling

If thats the case I will probably leave it bypassed till winter. However, I don't think I can survive an Idaho winter without a heater core! Why not rig up some type of a valve in each hose so you could turn the heater core off in the summer and on in the winter? If you just put one of those 1/4 turn valves in each line it would probably work.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Well I was definately wrong about my heater core. I ordered new lines from atlantic british... hooked them up and it's pretty much leaking all over the passenger side foot compartment. So looks like a new heater core for me!

Any tips or tricks from those who have changed one? I've heard they're a beast to get to and I think there is some type of control valve up there somewhere. Should I replace that too? When I had it hooked up and running I let the engine heat up all the way and I had no heat blowing. With the heater core leaking it should still be blowing hot shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance,

Erick