Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater core/Cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Heater core/Cooling issue

Hi there. Fairly new to the site, new to Rovers and I have run into an issue with my 1999 Disco II.

1. Bubbling sound coming from behind the dash. I assume it is air in the heater core. I really would like a step by step on how to remove it if anyone is willing to give it.

2. Sounds like an electric fan from behind the glove box when the air is on. I assume it is the blower motor for the a/c? Any suggestions on diagnosis or an economical way to rid the car of this malfunction?

Thank you so much for your time!! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Behind the glove box, below it actually is the blower motor for heat and A/C. It is three screws and it comes right out, gunk might of fallen from your hood area into it. That happened to me when I replaced the windshield.
The waterfall in the dash would be a sign of air in the coolant. Some say jack the front of the truck up 6 inches or so, then remove your cap from the radiator and start filling it until it comes out. Do this while the engine is running. The expansion tank cap should be off while you do this and your heat on full blast.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

check out the write ups and how to section. there is a write up on how to properly bleed the cooling system, but why is the air in there in the first place? did you recently drain any part of the system or is your intake heater leaking?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

See post https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...hlight=no+heat for pix of what your fan can look like. Be careful with fan, about $300. There is also a write up in tech section for making a pollen filter that will last a lot longer than the factory version.

Once you purge air from the coolant system, gurgling should stop. If it returns, other tests are in order because it is one of the indicators of leaking head gaskets.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 PM
4wd Low

Thanks everyone, ill check it out. I haven't done any coolant work to it but who knows before me. The leaky head gasket could be a problem :/

I'll drain the cooling system and see if that corrects it. No other issues that point to a leaky head. Exhaust smells normal, not sweet antifreeze scent. No drippings in the garage after being parked. Fluid levels are all normal as well.

I'll look in the tech forums and post back results.

Thanks again!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 PM
4wd Low

Disc oh no........

I did notice on our last road trip (SoCal to Glacier Park Montana) After the air was on for awhile (hours) some water leaked into the cab from the center hump under the dash board down onto the passenger floorboard. Very small amount and I wrote it off as condensation because it was definitely not coolant.

Any thoughts on that?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

plugged up drain for AC condensate (cold water)

Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 PM
4wd Low

Savannah:

Is it easy to "unclog" this A/C condensation drain? Tips?

Thanks,

Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Ted Hill
Disc oh no........

I did notice on our last road trip (SoCal to Glacier Park Montana) After the air was on for awhile (hours) some water leaked into the cab from the center hump under the dash board down onto the passenger floorboard. Very small amount and I wrote it off as condensation because it was definitely not coolant.

Any thoughts on that?
condensation from the A/C system probably, nothing to worry too much about as far as I know. Someone else may know better than me though, good luck with your truck I hope everything works out and doesn't cost you a fortune!!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Ted Hill
Savannah:

Is it easy to "unclog" this A/C condensation drain? Tips?

Thanks,
Oh sorry, I see you've already got an answer on that. I would think it may be easy to do if you could find the 'out' end of the drain and blow through it or poke through it with something, I don't know I've never done it myself so I don't know if there is access to the drain externally. Good Luck!!!

Quick Reply: Heater core/Cooling issue