Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater problems

Never have had a heating problem on my '01 D2 until now. The head unit says it is running full blast, but there's no output. All functions were tried with the same result.The rear emits nothing either. I checked all fuses and they are in working condition. It has been well below 0 where I live. I ran out to do some errands, had heat for the first three stops and now, none. Is there a vacuum hose somewhere that could have gotten cracked? I have about 150,000 on the odometer. Thanks for the help, my feet will thank you as well once I get them thawed out...
-Hunter-

Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hunter,

Your blower fan probably crapped out on you. It is easy to remove just 3 screws and the plug then you can take it to the battery and hook up direct power. Its probably cooked though I would call Paul Grant if you want a used one.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I just pulled mine out the other day for maintenance, here's a quick write up:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...llation-55530/

Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

IF you have no fan front AND no fan rear, might I suggest that you look at fuses 6 & 7 under dash, and they may have their sockets melted on the back. They are fed from Fuse Link 4 (fuse with bolts) in underhood box. That is a 100 amp fuse link, so if it is blown, something is wrong.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Drifting

All fuses, including the 100 amp fuse, are intact. I blew the hose from the T-stat to the water pump, replaced both the T=stat and the hose. I have no overheating problems now, no loss of coolant, just no heat. So I'm guessing the next step is to pull the blower heater? I do notice a mechanical sound under the glove box when I turn the head unit on and off...

Last edited by ogden45; 02-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

That's where your blower motor is. If it isn't blowing air, that's your problem. Easy to pull it out. Takes a couple of minutes. Check Super Sport's link to see how. If it is blowing air but there's no heat, you may have a plugged heater core. I had to backflush mine to get heat.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Ok, so I have the motor cleaned and noticed a small dab of what looks green cement on the spindle copper. Attached is the picture, is this normal? I'll continue with the rest of the maintenance but I wonder if I'm looking at my problem here...Thanks so much SuperSport for the write up. If this works, you're the man.

Attached Thumbnails Heater problems-2013-02-13_18-04-55_233.jpg  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ogden45
Ok, so I have the motor cleaned and noticed a small dab of what looks green cement on the spindle copper. Attached is the picture, is this normal? I'll continue with the rest of the maintenance but I wonder if I'm looking at my problem here...Thanks so much SuperSport for the write up. If this works, you're the man.
If I remember correctly, that would be placed there for balancing.

You can plug in the motor now, before reinstalling it and see if it spins up (hold on REALLY tight just in case it tries to spin out of your hand). You can also check the plug under the dash where it plugs in to see if it receives power when the system is on.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Hooked it back up and turned on the head unit, no movement. Meter reads 5 V at the connector. Bad motor, I presume? I hear a clicking and winding noise above the wire loom when the switch is thrown on the head unit. Would that be a solenoid in action?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ogden45
Hooked it back up and turned on the head unit, no movement. Meter reads 5 V at the connector. Bad motor, I presume? I hear a clicking and winding noise above the wire loom when the switch is thrown on the head unit. Would that be a solenoid in action?
Clicking and winding is likely a relay and diverter doors opening and closing. If you use an ohm meter on the motor, do you get any reading at all? Mine jumps around between 50 and 1 ohm, I'm guessing due to capacitors or something??? But if you get NO reading, then a wire is broken somewhere.

EDIT: Checking Power at the plug with motor NOT plugged in - With Power ON, Any Speed, I get 10.25 Volts. Motor OFF, I get 1.75 Volts.

I wonder if you can use another power source for the motor and see if it spins up.

Last edited by SuperSport; 02-15-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Heater problems