Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hella Rallye 4000 Auxiliary Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hella Rallye 4000 Auxiliary Lamps

Hey folks,

Branching this off of another thread I was part of since it's really a different topic. What's your experience with the Hella Rallye 4000's? I'm looking to mount some auxiliary lights on an ARB for on road fog lights to replace the factory ones which won't mount anywhere once the ARB is on. I want to have extra light at night, in the rain, and in the snow - but I also don't want to blind everyone coming the other way, so it's important that they are suitable for on road usage.

I noticed Hella offers tons of different 4000 variants - halogen, xenon, LED, and sub-versions of each. I was looking specifically at the "fog" halogen (My Hella Lights :: Rallye 4000 Fog). Anyone have experience with this one versus the other "standard" versions? Regular vs compact? I'm thinking halogen would be the best for fog since it has the more yellow light, but xenon vs LED vs halogen?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I've got 2 fogs and 2 Euro driving mounted on my roof rack, they're all awesome.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I have two 4000 halogen driving lights. They're too bright for the width of focus. I have put a lot of effort into aiming them correctly, but the glare from roadside reflectors really reduces visibility of dimmer objects.

Needless to say, they can't be used at all on the road when there's any other cars within sight. And offroad they just make a blinding flash of glare ahead of the car and make it impossible to see anything else.

A couple of very bright lights do not work too well because human vision can only perceive a narrow range of luminous intensity. If you have very bright objects in your field of vision, your ability to see the dim objects is gone. Therefore you want to illuminate the entire field of vision evenly or at least the part that is meaningful to you.

At high speeds on the highway, it's mostly the on-axis field and a little off-axis that you care about, and the field's depth doesn't change much. So you can have some very narrow beams focused on-axis. They can be very bright because nothing is going to reflect them from anything but very long ranges, but they must be narrow or they will catch on near-field objects and destroy your vision.

At low speeds and especially off-road (not racing), it's just about impossible to keep a very bright light from hitting something near you and reflecting back with blinding glare and destroying your vision.

You can try to just light up the whole field of vision with intense luminosity (only a couple of lights won't do it evenly), or you can turn the lights down and allow your eyes to adjust to perceive lower levels of luminosity. The key is not allowing anything to be too bright because that will shift your vision's whole range upward.

This is why there's a dimmer on the dashboard lights.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You would certainly have to change to a lower power bulb (55 watts or so). The bulbs that come with the 4000's from the factory are way too bright for on-road use.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely will use a 55w or so bulb. I'm not looking to light up the neighborhood, but just have something that's as good (ideally better) than the factory fogs.