Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello From Colorado Which Year is The Best??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello From Colorado Which Year is The Best??

Hello from Colorado. I am new to the Land Rover forum and I first want to say I've really been getting some good ideas on which Discovery to buy. My freind has a 98 that he likes a lot ,but has had some electrical and steering problems. All fixed. What year and Model do you guys(and girls) reccommend? Are there are any models and years to stay away from?? Thanks in advancefrom a newbie.

Derby

Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hello From Colorado Which Year is The Best??

stay away from 03s....04s are good...if you are looking for a D1 Im not sure

Old 01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

All have problems, 2004 i usually best, but most expensive. 2003 is good if it has over 90,000 miles or is out of the fuel pump vin 3A771801 – 3A808362 range , although it dose'nt have CDL (no problem unless your a major offroader.) My 2003 in right in the middle of the vin range, never had any problems. (the defect is some of the 2003's were built with a misalilined oil pump, and the only fix is a new engine).

for older models, 98-99 D1's are good. None are problem free, ALL require 91+ octane gas.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:29 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What are you planning to use a Discovery for and how mechanically inclined are you? What kind of budget do you have for buying? I own a 97 and love it. Paid $3700 for this past summer in Denver. I have had the head gaskets and water pump replaced and constantly have some little problem to fix but I wouldn't give it up. There are no years that I would make a blanket stay away from but each year has it own quirks.

94-95 use a distributor igniton, 96-on have distributorless ignition.

Late 2001-2003 do not have center differential lock from the factory. All D1s, 94-early 99, have CDL standard as does 2004. D2s from 99-early 2001 have CDL but no linkage to activate from inside the truck.

2003-2004 have the more powerful 4.6L V8 instead of the 4.0L V8 that the other years have. Beware of 2003s as some have issues with oil pumps failing and taking out the engine. Only fix for the bad oil pump is a new engine on the 2003 within a certain VIN range as the block was machined wrong.

94-95 use 3.9L V8 which is exactly the same as the 4.0L except for the distributor.

All Disco engines have a tendency to eat the factory head gaskets. If the one you decide to buy still has the factory head gaskets plan on $1500 for a mechanic to replace them. Once you replace the head gaskets you shouldn't ever have to do it again.

D1s are easier to work on than the D2 but are smaller and will generally have higher mileage since they are older. I think most will agree that the 2004 is overall the best of the Discoveries since it has all the bells and whistles, the better engine and CDL. 2004 is the last year for the Discovery name plate here in the states. 2004 is also going to be the most expensive.

What part of Colorado are you in? Around Denver JC's Rover and 4x4 is the mechanic I use and have had very good luck. Jeff and his crew over there are fanatics about Rovers like most of us on this forum.

Let us know what you decide and when you buy we'll walk you through getting the maintenance up to current.

Tom

Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are sure to get lots of opinions
Stay away from 03's. Oil pump failure
And the ones without a CDL

I of course like D1s...
Ive got a 94 pre electronic ignition, no 3 amigo issues, full floating rear axle

Remind me of a joke...
Why is English beer served warm??

Lucas makes their refridgeration systems!!!

Edit Correction

Old 01-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I disagree, you shouldn't stay away from 03's, don't buy low millage ones in the vin range, but otherwise there fine. Plus you can use the information about the engine as a deturant to get price down. i got $3k price drop just for mine just because i showed the guy the recall papers. paid $8.5k instead of $14k asking price (i picked out every little thing and made him seem like i was concerd about it).

Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Mudding

I have had great reliability with the 2000 and early 2001 D2. I like the Bosch electronics for engine and transmission. I like the ability to lock the transfer case (CDL). I dislike the sensitivity of ABS, Traction & hill decent (SLABS ECU). Luckily my dash is clear on both and I do not have the annoying 3 lights glowing.

I cannot speak from experience about the 2004 as I just got it (48 K mi) , I think the air injection system on the 2004 will cause trouble, but overall, I think it is going to be a great.

My ultimate Disco will be a 1995 D1 with a drivetrain transplant, taking out the 3.9 L V8 / auto and replacing it with the diesel TDi / 5 speed manual transmission. Will have to import the engine and transmission from Europe.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: unimoged

My ultimate Disco will be a 1995 D1 with a drivetrain transplant, taking out the 3.9 L V8 / auto and replacing it with the diesel TDi / 5 speed manual transmission. Will have to import the engine and transmission from Europe.

Why specifically a 95??

Old 01-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Mudding

Where I am in NC, a car that is 1996 ornewer must pass emissions inspection annually.

A 1995 and older are exempt from emissions inspection.

Only requirement is safety inspection.

So, a modified 1994 or 1995 D1 with a diesel TDi drive train willl pass safety inspection and thus can get a license plate and registration for road use.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear
Default Thank You To Everyone!!

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I will let you know what I do. My time line is within the next 90 days. Wish me luck.

Derby

Quick Reply: Hello From Colorado Which Year is The Best??