Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hello guys new to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:11 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello guys new to this forum

Hello dear LR lovers . I have a disco2 td5 manual . I have a problem with my gearbox i think.rebuilted my gear box 4 times and it runs couple of month.and it makes noice when i push the release clutch and try to change shafts it makes noise. later my engine crankshaft rear copper ring has been busted so what did i do wrong for my gearbox . Help me guys

Old 02-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

You're going to have to explain the situation a little better and tell us more precisely what you did during the rebuild. Just saying it makes a noise when I do "action x" isn't quite enough info.

Describe the noise, describe the situation in detail, and describe the maintenence that when into the rebuild.

The following users liked this post:
sukhchimed (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sukhchimed
Hello dear LR lovers . I have a disco2 td5 manual . I have a problem with my gearbox i think.rebuilted my gear box 4 times and it runs couple of month.and it makes noice when i push the release clutch and try to change shafts it makes noise. later my engine crankshaft rear copper ring has been busted so what did i do wrong for my gearbox . Help me guys
Hi, welcome to the wacky world of Landrovers. You obviously come from another continent in Asia where English isn't your first language, no matter, we will try help. You will need to try to describe the noise from your gearbox in more detail and also the "my engine crankshaft rear copper ring" which I think you mean the rear thrust bearing if I'm correct. If you can be clearer about the gearbox noise we may be able to identify the problem although many here don't use manual gearboxes, in truth, they are quite rare even in europe apart from the Disco 1.

The following users liked this post:
sukhchimed (02-28-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 AM
5th Gear

Thanks guys and my bad to enough explanation .try again to explain . So. I have changed all the sincro rings and bearrings and main shaft of gear box .there is a copper ring placed into engine crankshaft really out rear the gearbox mainshaft is goes in to it .,i think it s holds the mainshaft swing (controls ) every time gearbox makes noise that ring busted. So i thought something wrong with my gearbox .3 times i have changed tgat copper ring placed into crankshaft . And i opened the gearbox and changed the bearring of first mainshaft. It goes 2 or 3 month ok , and no noice.that noice is also is strange it doesnt make noice until i hit the cluts releace pedal and try to shift and give a little bit of gas it comes .and when i take off the pedal it is off .opening up gear box it really not noticeable someting is broken so i don.t know .kkkkk have you guys understand try to understand my bad english

Old 03-01-2015, 12:16 AM
5th Gear

Attached Thumbnails hello guys new to this forum-20140919_115513.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sukhchimed
Thanks guys and my bad to enough explanation .try again to explain . So. I have changed all the sincro rings and bearrings and main shaft of gear box .there is a copper ring placed into engine crankshaft really out rear the gearbox mainshaft is goes in to it .,i think it s holds the mainshaft swing (controls ) every time gearbox makes noise that ring busted. So i thought something wrong with my gearbox .3 times i have changed tgat copper ring placed into crankshaft . And i opened the gearbox and changed the bearring of first mainshaft. It goes 2 or 3 month ok , and no noice.that noice is also is strange it doesnt make noice until i hit the cluts releace pedal and try to shift and give a little bit of gas it comes .and when i take off the pedal it is off .opening up gear box it really not noticeable someting is broken so i don.t know .kkkkk have you guys understand try to understand my bad english
Nice truck sukhchimed.

I have had a look at the RAVE workshop manual for your problem. You need to download the manual (it's free here on this forum) as it's very useful for repairs and identifying parts to order.

The section you need starts at page 33-1-2 which is the TD5 clutch asembly and continues in the manual gearbox section for the R380 gearbox page 37.1 onwards. The bush you seem to have much trouble with in the end of the crankshaft is the gearbox input shaft spigot bush which is actually located in the end of the crankshaft. I cannot see why this keeps breaking as it only works when you change gear otherwise the clutch assembly is transferring the drive from the engine to the gearbox. If you have replaced the input shaft tapered roller bearing and it has been shimmed correctly there should be only very small movement on the input shaft. Is the input shaft spigot badly worn or grooved? as it should be a smooth running fit in the spigot bush without any noticeable slack.

The R380 is not the best gearbox produced by LR and does have issues. It might be a reasonable idea to get a spare gearbox and then very carefully renovate it amking sure the shafts and bearings all work and slide correctly and then change the gearboxes over. Also mke sure your clutch and clutch release bearing is in good condition including the pressure plate.

Unfortunately I have no experience of the R380 gearbox as mine are automatics so I'm at the limits of my general experience. The guys who use manual gearboxes are the Australians, it may be worth looking at the Aulro LR website

Australian Land Rover Owners

these guys are also LR enthusiasts and very helpful. Good luck and keep in touch.