Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - 04 Disco CEL woes and dealer schmeelers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - 04 Disco CEL woes and dealer schmeelers

So looking for some advice, wise ramblings maybe from spending way to much time on forums (I'd be here more if I wasn't glued to my Saab forums - hey, the Disco is the wifes!). Anyway, had some issues a way back with the ticking, crappy dealer they all do that, two weeks later new Y pipe that of course DOESN'T fall under the extended certified warranty.

Honestly, they replaced our windshield wipers (also not covered) within the first 2 months of owning the car - two days later we get a heavy rain and my wife emails me a pic from her phone of her goofed out someone forgot to tighten them down wipers. With our 1.5 yr.old daughter and wifes mother in the car she headed to the schmeelers, interupts their team meeting and shows them the picture... they remember her and put someone right on it.

That was nice.

So nice they remembered to put the bolt covers back on but wanted to charge ME for new ones.

So fast forward to present, had the car inspected there last week, tail light and wiper replaced (torn), NC inspection, 90 bucks. No worries... two days and 15 miles later check engine light (BTW the coolant resv. was nearly empty - would they check that?) blinks on.... then steady... then blink. It is time for the 60K, I have 62k on the truck now, I purchased with 54k on it.

So bad coil, wires, have to replace the _______ gasket (read about this on here as well). They said the wires were old and cracked and needed to be replaced (again thanks LR Certified for your stringent and fair regulations). Really, I haven't owned it one year and I am paying to replace wires plugs etc... and one other thing I can't remember off hand (will get that tomorrow).

So all venting and symptoms out, is this how all dealers are? Should they have replaced the cables to begin with OR would they dry out (coastal NC) in 10 months? Could all the ticking sounds (saw some posts to videos that matched the sound of mine...but mine was louder), y pipes, plugs, wires, etc... related?

Real question, can I get the Magnacor wires and have them install them if it is still under the Certified Warranty? I see the 8mm cables for $111 - I believe they quoted $340 for the cables.

Grand total with the 60k inspection is 1400-1500

That sound right?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: HELP - 04 Disco CEL woes and dealer schmeelers

Send me your tele number, I'll call and try to answer your questions.