Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! 2002 Disco SE Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 2002 Disco SE Won't start

It will crank and crank and crank, then if I give it gas it fires up and will run indefinitely as long as I'm giving it gas. As soon as I let off the gas, it dies immediately. The only thing I've been told is to clean the Idle Air Control Valve, which I plan on doing tomorrow. Any other ideas on what this could be? I have just replaced a month ago the fuel pump and the Crank Sensor, so those are good.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have any trouble codes? Was it doing the same thing before the fuel pump and crank sensor? was it running fine after the new sensor and pump until recently?

1) Check for spark while someone cranks on the car

2) Make sure your throttle cable is adjusted correctly

3) try turning the key to the on position but don't start it. Let it sit for a few seconds and turn it off. Then back to the on position and wait a few seconds then off again. Then turn it to the on position a 3rd time and this time try to start it. Let me know if it fires up. Where did you buy your new pump?

Last edited by Jared9220; 02-07-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:29 PM
7th Gear

No, I can't get to a place that has a trouble code computer reader device nor do I have one. My vehicle is stuck at work.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I added a few things to my post above.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:01 PM
7th Gear

Ok I will try that first. I got the pump from Shyi Co Rovers. It was a used, but tested part and I can hear it engage. I don't think that's the issue.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Justin Chig Reagan
It will crank and crank and crank, then if I give it gas it fires up and will run indefinitely as long as I'm giving it gas. As soon as I let off the gas, it dies immediately. The only thing I've been told is to clean the Idle Air Control Valve, which I plan on doing tomorrow. Any other ideas on what this could be? I have just replaced a month ago the fuel pump and the Crank Sensor, so those are good.
Start at the top,car needs 3 things to start and stay running. Fuel, Air, Spark. Eliminate each one off the list and narrow down what system is at fault.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same issues, caused by an idle air control valve sticking.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM
7th Gear

I tried the key turning and that did not work. This has happened a couple of times before and I fixed it by unplugging the negative terminal on the battery for a while and plugging it back in. That method obviously isn't working now.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MarkSF
I have had the same issues, caused by an idle air control valve sticking.
Did you have to replace it or were you able to clean it out?

Old 02-07-2014, 08:03 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Do you have any trouble codes? Was it doing the same thing before the fuel pump and crank sensor? was it running fine after the new sensor and pump until recently?

1) Check for spark while someone cranks on the car

2) Make sure your throttle cable is adjusted correctly

3) try turning the key to the on position but don't start it. Let it sit for a few seconds and turn it off. Then back to the on position and wait a few seconds then off again. Then turn it to the on position a 3rd time and this time try to start it. Let me know if it fires up. Where did you buy your new pump?
No this is a completely different set of symptoms than the fuel pump and crank sensor. It ran perfectly after replacing those. The key thing didn't work.

Quick Reply: HELP! 2002 Disco SE Won't start