Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! 99 Disco II Weird Transfer Case Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:01 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 99 Disco II Weird Transfer Case Noise!

My 99 Disco II has 123K miles and still seems to run and drive like new. I've only had it for a month now. However, I just noticed something that seems like bad news that wasn't therebefore I bought it.When the transfer-case is shifted into low range, and while driving slowly in any forward or reverse gear, this terrible intermittent gear-like grinding / bearing buzzing sound appears.It will also do it while stationarywith the transfer case is in neutral and if the transmission is shifted into any forward/reverse gear. It is somewhat intermittentbut very apparent.Itdoes notdo this in High range. However, in High range,a faint whining sound while accelerating increases with speedthatdissipates when the throttle isreleased. I am not sure if this is related or not but am wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar or could help assess what the technical cause of this could be going by my listed symptoms. I'm wondering if it sounds likeit couldjust be alinkage issue or something major internal.I'm also wondering ifit could be transmission related or does it sound like transfer case only? I would certainly appreciate some useful feedback, other than "time for a new t-case"

Old 12-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Help! 99 Disco II Weird Transfer Case Noise!

I also have a 99 D2, great truck. First thing I would do is drain the t/case, checking for metal of any kind and refill. One of a couple things can be going on, bad bearings or low on fluid.
If you see any metal, you probably won't have much time before a repair will be in order, if on the other hand, it is low on fluid, less then 2 quarts, use a synthetic 85W/140 gear instead of typical 85W.
If the sound goes away, you're in luck.
So you understand, Rovers have a little whine and klunk in the t/case all the time. If you will be needing a new t/case, then get back to me cause I usually know where you can find a good used one for alot less then new.
Good luck.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:24 PM
8th Gear

So....I took my truck into a general local repair/tire shop... Up on the lift, they ran it in low range, heard the noise and said the T-case is shot! They haven't even drained the oil out to check for metal shavings like I asked but they said not to bother.. I really wantan experiencedRover enthusiast's/ tech'sopinion on this. It almost sounds like pieces are crunching around randomly but it only does this in low range, not in high range, which makes me wonder. ..Could thisjust be a bentlinkage issue preventing full engagement or alow oilnoise symptom?I'd hate to pull a t-case for no reason if its just low fluid or bent linkage. As a sidenote, the t-case does show signs of leaking and has a good caking of oil/ grime on it, but doesn't leave a puddle or anything. It just seems crazy that the T-case could go bad since this truck has had all its regular services at the dealer most of its life and still looks new almost as if its never even been off road! Nothing extreme could have caused this that I've done anyways.I've owned a few early well-traveled Classic Range Rovers with 200K + miles on them and never imaginedthat the t-case would be an issue on them...nevermind ona Discovery 2 garage queen like this! Can anyone advise further on this again?? I understand the t-case oil condition would be the first key to whats going on, and I'll probably insist that they do check it for confirmation. Any other thoughts on this so far?? Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like Mike said, drain it and check for metal. Then re-fill with the thicker weight. I run Royal Purple 85W140 in everything on the driveline. Get a good synthetic and throw it in there....

Old 12-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If it is shot, it is going to be cheaper to replace it over repairing it.
There are a number of Rover classified section where you can find a good used t/case as well as Rover dismantelers like,
http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=280
Let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/509834140.html

Old 12-22-2007, 06:23 PM
8th Gear

Well, I toldthe shop to drain and check the t-case today andas I suspected (and feared) only a couple drops came out! It was bone dry! No metal chunks stuck to the magnet on the drain plug. I had them fill it, drove it in low range and LO and BEHOLD, much to EVERYONES amazement, the horrible crunching noise is GONE! This seems too good to be true! I'll drain and check the box again for any metal chunks...since it was so dry and there wasn't any fluid to flush out whatever could still bein there. I'll be checking to see just howbad of a leak I must have, anda reseal of some kind may be required (maybe just an output shaft seal?) But there is absolutely no more grinding or crunching noise of any kind! I am still wonderingwhat exactly the noise was and how itseems to have"disappeared" with the new oil back in it. Remember, I just bought this truck....and itsupsettingthat the previous owner allowed this to happen and how crazy that the box hadn't grenaded itself yet without any oil in it! I may have caught it in time or it may be too late and lockup on mestill. Butit seems okay atleast by the sound of it! Any comments?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Mudding

sounds like the car just had a 120k service done and the tech forgot to refill the t box...believe me it happens

Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 PM
8th Gear

BTW, I want to thank those that replied with their advice.Your second opinionsre-assured me of my doubts and maybe ended up saving me some serious $$$...at least so far! I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is why we were poking you so hard to drain it and check it. These things happen.....

Hope you dodged a bullet this time...Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Help! 99 Disco II Weird Transfer Case Noise!