Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with air in cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help with air in cooling system

2000 Disco with 119K. I replaced the whole upper HG kit from AB and had the heads milled and the valves done two weeks ago. Replaced the water pump(original problem with HG going bad). I also replaced plugs(bosch platinum 4+) and 8mm wires while I was in there. Put it all back together and have tried to bleed the cooling system. I did the process from the write up posts and it still seems to be gurgling in the heater core. While I am running the heater while bleeding it, it never gets warm until I put the cap back on the resevoir. (?) It seems to stop gugrling and than the next day it is back. I have been driving it about 10-20 miles per day with the A/c blasting and the temp guage never budges. Now the last few days when I am getting ready to start it in the morning or after it sits for awhile it will make one attempt to crank over and than it will not. Like the crank is being stopped before it can cycle. The battery is 100% but it is odd that if I put a jumper from another car it will crank over after a few attempts, like it need more cranking amps to turn it over. Again this is only after is has been sitting awhile. It seems to not be able to turn the crank like there is something not allowing it, I hate to think it is water and that is why there is air in the cooling system also since I just did the HG job but I can not think of anything else. Also now throwing a cylinder 5 misfire code. Troubling thing is that before the HG job it did not have a misfire code in cylinder 5 only 4/6 and that is because the previous owner had the wires crossed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if you hydro locked it?....meaning coolant in the cylinder... pull some plugs and check each cylinder....check your dipstick....

Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

It will crank over so it isn't hydrolocked. I checked the plugs and there is no difference in smell or look in any of the plugs and the oil is right where I filled it to with no water in it. I would think if I had water in my cylinder a motor with 119K would let some water seep past the rings and into the oil if that is the case, correct?? Something is causing the problem no doubt but I am having a hard time narrowing it down.