Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   HELP!! Big white smoke!! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/help-big-white-smoke-24030/)

Disco Mike 08-07-2009 06:47 PM

You really need the head gasket kit, t/stat, new updated upper radiator hose set if not yet replaced, new head bolts and plug wires along with all the normal fluids and filters.
If you have a Rave CD, it will be pretty easy for you.

grussell 08-07-2009 07:07 PM

The work is not that difficult. It just takes alot of time to do it. I just finished doing the job on my 97 2 weeks ago. The key is to have everything you need when you start and be organized - Parts, tools, RAVE manual and this forum. The only extra tools I had to buy were a set of impact sockets and impact extensions. You must have a torque wrench too. My head bolts were very tight, but no problems getting them loose with a 36" breaker bar. I ordered the head gasket kit from Atlantic British and it came with everything I needed to do the job. I also replaced the thermostat, v belt and some of the coolant hoses.

StevenDiscoII 08-07-2009 07:17 PM

Aaah, this sound very familiar Idaho.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23406

Same symptoms, Cyl. 1. I just finished the job last weekend, only have a little glitch in to sort out with fuel injection system on Cyl. 4 now. As it was mentioned, three full days, from sunup to sundown. But hey, it's fun. Good luck with your project.

Spike555 08-07-2009 07:20 PM

Make sure that is you replace one coolant hose that you replace them all, they wear out at the same rate because they are the same age and all.
No need to waste coolant by replacing the upper hose and then have the lower one blow and leak all of your coolant onto the road and leave you stranded.

lipadj46 08-07-2009 07:39 PM

I did mine a month ago and just make sure you are super organized put each set of bolts from each part in zip lock bags and label them. Cost me about $600 including parts and some tools I needed an getting the heads machined.

IDAHODISCO 08-07-2009 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by StevenDiscoII (Post 131062)
Aaah, this sound very familiar Idaho.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23406

Same symptoms, Cyl. 1. I just finished the job last weekend, only have a little glitch in to sort out with fuel injection system on Cyl. 4 now. As it was mentioned, three full days, from sunup to sundown. But hey, it's fun. Good luck with your project.

WOW we had the same thing to the "T" LOL or HAAA
Realy guys 2-3 days wow that sucks, I have sockets wrenches extensions!
So I need a torque wrench and a razer blade, what els do I need lipadj46 what is $600 about? I have oil fliud sockets, I need torque wrench $40 gaskets $180 ETC $40 = $260 RIGHT what am I missing??

lipadj46 08-07-2009 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by IDAHODISCO (Post 131088)
WOW we had the same thing to the "T" LOL or HAAA
Realy guys 2-3 days wow that sucks, I have sockets wrenches extensions!
So I need a torque wrench and a razer blade, what els do I need lipadj46 what is $600 about? I have oil fliud sockets, I need torque wrench $40 gaskets $180 ETC $40 = $260 RIGHT what am I missing??

Parts (you are being optimistic you will come across worn out parts along the way or break a few hoses also you need new head bolts):

Thermostat: $20
Headgasket Kit: $160
Cylinder head bolts: $80
Serpentine belt: $32
Hose to heater: $20
Hose from expansion tank: $20

Machinist: $75 (this is critical too don't skip this step)

Tools (I had to buy some for the job):

Metric Impact Socket set (you will break regular sockets)
Wobble extension set (you need this)
Torque wrench
Impact extension set
8mm 12 pointed socket
large breaker bar
long jointed ratchet

Fluids:

6 quarts cheap oil for a flush then 6 quarts good stuff
1 gallon coolant
2 quarts power steering fluid

Total for me was around $600 but like I said I bought some tools that made the job easier.

tweakrover 08-07-2009 09:51 PM

I just went to the shop today they quoted me like $590 labor to replace the head gaskets, not including the resurfacing. and the parts are under $200, so I'd be in and out under $900, probably. how much is 3 days sunup to sundown of your time worth?

IDAHODISCO 08-07-2009 10:38 PM

Wow thanks lipadj46 that was more helpful than you know now I get how much work this would be!! tweakrover hmm $590 sounds pritty good too!!

lipadj46 08-08-2009 08:14 AM

Sounds too good but if you can get them one for under $1000 that's great but remember that is the price quote to get you in the door and you did not add your machinist cost in there the will both need to be planed as aluminum heads get twisted easily. Like I said $200 for parts is a bare minimum, once you get in there there may be a few odds and ends plus fluids that are not cheap in these trucks and need to be budgeted for. The machinist cost, depending where you live this can be cheap or costly (luckily for me I went straight to the source and only got charged $75). A head gasket job is usually a 10 hour job so use that for a ballpark (plus $350 for parts) of what labor your mechanic will charge you.