Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Can't get my DII Wiper Arms off - is it me???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! Can't get my DII Wiper Arms off - is it me???

I have today off. I ordered DI wiper arms about a week ago, so that I don't have to buy crappy DII wiper blades anymore. I read it's a simple fix. Of course, once they arrived, it rained since. Today I have the day off, and it's sunny. Perfect, let's change them out before any more rain or snow shows up.

So tell me, what am I doing wrong? Here's what I did:

I removed the caps. I took off the nut. Now I'm supposed to be able to remove the wiper arms and replace with DI arms. Seems easy enough. Except I can't get the DII wiper arms off.

I'm 5'2" on a good day....so I thought maybe I can't get them off because I don't have good leverage. Found somethig to stand on (an orange Home Depot bucket, in this case!) but they still won't budge! So, I put a little WD on them...let it sit awhile, went for a cup of coffee, came back and they still won't budge!

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is this going to be a "duh" moment when I realize I missed a step?

I just want to buy normal wiper blades. Is that so much to ask? Can someone please steer this newbie right and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I thought this would be the easy fix today - next I have to fix my horn with the horn repair kit (missing a horn button and neither side honks). If I can't get a couple of wiper arms changed, amybe I should leave my horn to a pro!

Thanks all,

Marni

Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Sometimes corrsion sets in and makes them a little difficult to remove, then you may need to carefully pry them up and off the pivot with a screw driver, just be careful and don't break anything.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Sometimes corrsion sets in and makes them a little difficult to remove, then you may need to carefully pry them up and off the pivot with a screw driver, just be careful and don't break anything.
And they're off! Finally, 2 cups of coffee.... I'm thinking since it rained all yesterday, and was freezing over night, maybe they were frozen on there or just real tight from the cold, because I went back out there with the same screwdriver and they popped off pretty easily this time.

Whew, thanks all! Was starting to think I should hang up my tools and go to a mechanic. On to the harder of todays projects - fixing the horn with the horn kit I purchased....

Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats on the removal, and only needing 2 cups of coffee! Lol, my Landy work is usually measured by pots of coffee (before noon) and 6-packs of beer (post noon)

Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is this widely recommended?

Too tired to search for threads. Can a kind soul point me in the right direction? Is this a recommended mod that can save $$$'s or time down the road?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Don: The wiper arms on a D2 only accept Land Rover wiper blades which have to be purchased from a dealer, or online. I think I read once that the new Rain-X blades may have an adapter to fit the D2 arms, but they are like $26 each. The D1 wiper arms are the older standard "hook" design which allows for many more choices, which can be purchased from any auto parts store, Wally world, garage sales, etc. You can either get the D1 arms from a salvage yard, online, or one of the many recyclers on this forum.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thanks!

Sounds like I'm going to be picking up some D1 wiper arms!

DRW