Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Coolant flooding oil after Head gasket job

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:51 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool HELP!! Coolant flooding oil after Head gasket job

Hey guys,
2 days after doing a head gasket job (did it myself), car ran great, coolant stayed in expansion tank, and oil was dark. So, I changed the oil on day 3 evening, with Rotella T6 5W40 and Mobil 301 filter (long).

Next day (day 4), drove the car for about 12 miles and noticed the temp climbing, pulled-over shut car off for few mins. Checked and saw coolant in expansion tank was completely gone. Saw milky oil on dipstick, way past the max level. Added water to expansion tank, ran engine for few mins, no smoke from tail pipes, expansion tank empty again, milky oil much higher on dip stick. Called AAA and towed car home.

Day 5: drained and replaced milky oil, replaced oil filter, filled expansion tank with fresh coolant. Warmed car up on my drive way, then drove quarter of a mile. Again, all coolant gone from expansion tank, oil milky, and dip stick beyond max.

QUESTIONS- 1. Is my head gasket blown again? (after 3 days of replacement)
2. Do I have a cracked block (replace engine?)
3. Do I retrace my steps and re-install head gasket
4. What else could I check or replace to solve this problem

Thanks guys!

2003 Disco SE, 132k miles

Last edited by Vokam03Disco; 06-15-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: additional details
Old 06-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why the hell are you still driving it?????????????????????????????
Did you have this problem prior to replacing the head gaskets, did you over heat it, if so how bad and did you have the heads pressure tested and milled?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Why the hell are you still driving it?????????????????????????????
Did you have this problem prior to replacing the head gaskets, did you over heat it, if so how bad and did you have the heads pressure tested and milled?
Pardon me Mike, I guess you didn't quite get me. I'm not driving it, I only drove it after the 2nd oil change and coolant refill to confirm the situation. Drove only 1/4 mile. No, I didn't have this problem before replacing the head gasket. No, I didn't over heat- towed the car home. Yes, heads were pressure tested, and resurfaced at machine shop.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Did you have the front cover off? A front cover gasket leak will mix coolant with oil, so I hear.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:52 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by jafir
Did you have the front cover off? A front cover gasket leak will mix coolant with oil, so I hear.
didn't remove the front cover. Shouldn't a leaking front cover gasket also leak oil on the outside/ externally?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Perhaps not. While this one was external, you can see where there is a side that when failed can dump into oil.

Skip any torque (like second 90 degrees?) -

Re-used old bolts?

And could someone comment about additional torque of heads (if you skipped some) and if you could detect that with a torque wrench?

Attached Thumbnails HELP!! Coolant flooding oil after Head gasket job-img564_zps5973c276.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-15-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:12 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Perhaps not. While this one was external, you can see where there is a side that when failed can dump into oil.

Skip any torque (like second 90 degrees?) -

Re-used old bolts?

And could someone comment about additional torque of heads (if you skipped some) and if you could detect that with a torque wrench?
I can order a new front cover gasket and replace mine, in case that's where the problem is from. I'm just cautious of messing with parts that may be okay, while the fault is elsewhere. I was careful not to skip any torque (did 2nd 90% on head bolts). No- didn't re-use any old bolts, used new bolts only. Called AB and asked about replacing the front cover gasket, and they quickly told me only way to solve the problem is a new short block for $5k. I don't think so!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

First thing before you suspect a bad head job or cracked block, remove the lower intake manifold and make sure you didn't kink it on reassemly. I did this on my hg job and I had coolant leaking into the oil. It passed a pressure test. Luckily I didn't drive it though I caught it. Exhaust all options before you get scared into buying a new block. Good luck!

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 06-15-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
First thing before you suspect a bad head job or cracked block, remove the lower intake manifold and make sure you didn't kink it on reassemly. I did this on my hg job and I had coolant leaking into the oil. It passed a pressure test. Luckily I didn't drive it though I caught it. Exhaust all options before you get scared into buying a new block. Good luck!
Okay, I'll go back in and check the lower intake gasket. I'll post a pic of how it looks.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So, when you did the head gaskets, did you use new head bolts, did you follow a manual like the Rave to close up the engine following all the proper torque procedures and settings?
Before you replaced the head gaskets, did it over heat, if so how hot by the gauge and for how long?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Coolant flooding oil after Head gasket job