Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help diagnosing engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014 | 02:28 AM
|
Drifting
Default help diagnosing engine problem

Have a 2004 Disco 2 with roughly 134,000 miles on it. Other day when accelerating on freeway engine light came on and started flashing. Pulled off freeway and noticed a loud clicking sound coming from the engine whenever I gave gas. Continued to get louder and now can't get above 30 mph. Sound seems like its coming from the bottom of the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2014 | 06:32 AM
Winching

you need to go get the codes read. It is really the only way for anyone to help you. see if you can borrow one from a local parts store, rather than drive it.

Old 03-08-2014 | 12:37 AM
|
Drifting

Jeff, the codes say that I have a misfire in cylinder 8. My mechanic can't diagnose the clicking sound coming from the engine when I give it gas though. Others have told me that the sleeve for a cylinder might have cracked or is broken? Mechanic said diagnosing the problem will involve taking apart the engine which will costs me basically the blue book value of the car. Have you heard of this problem before? Thanks.

Old 03-08-2014 | 07:30 AM
Winching

how is the level of your coolant? any coolant in your oil? have you checked your spark plugs, wires? A good mechanic should not need to tear the whole engine apart to diagnose an issue. I would look for another mechanic that is known for working on land rovers. Even if you like this guy and trust him a second opinion can not hurt. Pull your plugs looks for signs of coolant, oil, steam cleaned look. Are you leaking coolant, have you done a pressure test or a block test. Start simple and go from there. Yes it could be a slipped liner but I have never heard of that causing you from running more that 30 miles an hour. Not saying that it could not, just that I have never heard. are you only getting 1 code? p0308? I for a brief time had the flashing engine light as well only after I had been running for over an hour and on the highway at speeds over 65. turns out I had a few sticky lifters. Ran some BG engine flush and their oil additive and now issues at all. since then. The whole engine would begin to slow down when this happened loss of power etc. Not saying that this is your issue just pointing out that sometimes it is not as bad as what it may appear. keep looking and running tests. before you go and enter the engine.

Old 03-08-2014 | 08:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

It sounds like you had something internal fail.

I would start by dropping the oil pan since your sound seems to come from the bottom of the engine. Look in the the bottom of the pan for any metal pieces then spend some time looking up inside the block for anything unusual. Also, take a good look at the flywheel while you have the pan off to make sure it didn't crack or break.

If everything underneath looks good then you need to start tearing down the upper part of the engine. You very well may have a bad sleeve, however they usually go hand in hand with overheating. Did you overheat at all recently?

Last edited by Jared9220; 03-08-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2014 | 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

X2...dropping the oil pan is fairly easy and free. If there's nothing in the pan and you can't see any issue(s) in the bottom of the cylinder, then at least you'll be able to rule out some stuff. Make sure you rotate your crank so that the #8 piston is TDC, giving you the most visibility.

Old 03-08-2014 | 12:01 PM
|
Drifting

Thank you for the help/responses. Yes, I did have an internal coolant leak along with a internal oil leak as well. Just did a whole engine tuneup about a month before this happened. Rover was running great until this happened. Very frustrated to say the least. Mechanic thought it was a bad spark plug so he changed it but that didn't fix the problem. He also did a compression test and said that was fine.

Old 03-08-2014 | 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

need to pressurize your coolant system to find a leak. Then get a test kit from your local parts store to test the coolant for exhaust gases. Guessing you have a crack behind one of your liners.

Old 03-08-2014 | 04:23 PM
Winching

well now that we know that you have a coolant leaks. internally you have helped. Your head gaskets at a minimum are shot, the next question is whether you have cracked block. You need to do a pressure test to see where you may be leaking coolant, also you need to do a an exhaust gas in coolant test to check the block. bad head gasket allowing coolant in cylinder #8 is not good. It could be that simple.. if exhaust gas in coolant then a whole different story. Yes you can drop the oil pan. but I would pressure test and gas test first.