Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, drowning in coolant and cat litter!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help, drowning in coolant and cat litter!

Well I completed my head job. All went well. Idled and sounded great for 10 minutes. Talking with my dad on the phone and he says, flip on the heater. I did and Boom. radiator fluid everywhere. Well I found the o-ring on the coolant pipe going into the intake was busted. So I have radiator fluid all over the intake gasket. Did I ruin it or should i just throw the o-ring on the coolant pipe and move on?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:32 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help, drowning in coolant and cat litter!

Well i completed the head job with no problems. Ran it for ten minutes, smoking a little bit, but puring like a kitten. Flip on the heater and fluid dumps all over the floor. The o-ring on the coolant pipe that goes into the intake manifold was torn. So fluid dumped on the intake gasket and ran to the back of the motor and dumped to the ground. So besides the o-ring do I need to go back and replace the intake gasket? Thanks folks.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Nope. Just the O-ring. When I changed my valve cover gaskets the other week, I started it up afterwards to check for oil leaks, and to my horror saw coolant ppouring from the back of the engine. I thought I had somehow jacked up the manifold gasket. It was just the coolant pipe O-ring leaking and filling the recess of the intake in which it fits. When that filled, it drained onto the valley pan and ran to the back of the engine.
I had even replaced that O-ring with one from my work at a parts store based off a pipe from an old engine. It was maybe 1/32" too big and rolled during pipe fitment. I ordered a new O-ring (from a proper supplier) and was good to go after replacing it.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

I too had trouble with that O-ring after my head gasket job several years ago. I think I went through two or three before I got it installed without tearing. I applied a thin layer of lube on it after I put it on the pipe and before pressing it into the manifold. Anything will do - grease, motor oil, butter or margarine. Just something to ease it in.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Dear God, please give others strength to not let this devolve into an inappropriate discussion about lube types.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I coated mine with a VERY thin coat of black RTV.

once you go black...

(hey, I refrained from lube comment!)

Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

throw the o-ring on the coolant pipe and move on