Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!DTC 1450 (Evap sys?)back on after new OE gas cap & Hyundai brand purge valve.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:55 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help!DTC 1450 (Evap sys?)back on after new OE gas cap & Hyundai brand purge valve.

My registration is about to expire on my 2003 D2. I had a 1450 DTC and another DTC (cant remember the code) that said "Large evap system leak". After a lot of reading here, I replaced the Gas cap with a new LR cap, and also replaced my purge valve with the Hyundai brand (looked identical to the one that I took off), that if often recommended here.

After clearing DTC codes and about 180 miles of driving, the DTC 1450 code came back with a check engine Light.

I've only got till the end of this month, then my plates expire, and although my inspection is still valid, a new Texas law requires that I re-inspect it now before I can get my plates renewed.

Also in the process of packing up my house to move, so limited time to research and diagnose So would greatly appreciate any assist from you guys that will help get my D2 through inspection

I have spent several hours reading everything I can here about 1450 DTC,...But, so far, other than the Purge valve fix,.....I have not seen anything conclusive on how this was diagnosed or fixed.....seems like a lot of just throwing parts at it in an attempt to fix it. I am a do it yourselfer,....prefer to ALWAYS do my own work, so, would prefer not to be told to go to a dealer as it seems that most everyone who has done that with this 1450 code has not had the problem properly diagnosed.

That said,.....Can anyone guide me through a proper diagnostic procedure??

Mike, I always appreciate your thoughtful and constructive direction,...not a fan of your frequent negative rants,...so, if you are having a bad day, or don't like the way I have said something here,....I would prefer not being verbally thrashed by you,...Just sayin.........

Thanks in advance,
Brian in Cedar Park

Last edited by bcolins; 09-19-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Smoke testing your EVAP system would be the quickest and best way to find a leak in the system. I've had that code before and battled to find a solution only to find the code go away on it's own one day never to return.
I was looking at the "Loss Detection Pump" for the cause of my code right before it stopped showing up. I had actually ordered a used one to replace it, already take the old one off, and went to plug in the new one and the plugs were different. Apparently there is a 3 prong plug and a 4 prong and I got the wrong one. I never could find the correct one for my truck but the code hasn't come back since I reinstalled the old one. Maybe I had a bad connection or something that I fixed when I reinstalled it . I did disconnect all may vent tubes and blow them out to make sure they weren't clogged so that could of been it too.

So basically the cause of the code is still a mystery to me, but maybe you have a few places to start looking.

In Austin they hook you up to scanner? I live just south of San Antonio and all they check are my lights, horn, wipers, and brakes. I'm pretty sure you can get your vehicle inspected at any station in Texas, so if your county has tough standards maybe you can inspect it somewhere else.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WTR000010G

Old 09-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Well since he's in Austin they do OBDII/Emission test. If he was outside of Travis, Harris, or Bexar county he'd just have the normal state inspection of 14.00 vs 40.00 and no OBDII/Emission test.

If you really want it fixed quickly I'd recommend a visit to Austin Roverworks and have your D2 looked at by my best friend Ken. He's a LR Master Tech and he knows LR's inside and out. That's if you don't want to do any troubleshooting and get if fixed fast.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Well since he's in Austin they do OBDII/Emission test. If he was outside of Travis, Harris, or Bexar county he'd just have the normal state inspection of 14.00 vs 40.00 and no OBDII/Emission test.

If you really want it fixed quickly I'd recommend a visit to Austin Roverworks and have your D2 looked at by my best friend Ken. He's a LR Master Tech and he knows LR's inside and out. That's if you don't want to do any troubleshooting and get if fixed fast.
Best4x4,....I may just go see Ken. What is your name, so I can tell him you sent me.

BTW, In Dallas, they have been doing simulated driving loops on a dyometer, one low speed, one high speed,...as part of the state inspection for 15 years.

Brian

Old 09-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
Smoke testing your EVAP system would be the quickest and best way to find a leak in the system. I've had that code before and battled to find a solution only to find the code go away on it's own one day never to return.
I was looking at the "Loss Detection Pump" for the cause of my code right before it stopped showing up. I had actually ordered a used one to replace it, already take the old one off, and went to plug in the new one and the plugs were different. Apparently there is a 3 prong plug and a 4 prong and I got the wrong one. I never could find the correct one for my truck but the code hasn't come back since I reinstalled the old one. Maybe I had a bad connection or something that I fixed when I reinstalled it . I did disconnect all may vent tubes and blow them out to make sure they weren't clogged so that could of been it too.

So basically the cause of the code is still a mystery to me, but maybe you have a few places to start looking.

In Austin they hook you up to scanner? I live just south of San Antonio and all they check are my lights, horn, wipers, and brakes. I'm pretty sure you can get your vehicle inspected at any station in Texas, so if your county has tough standards maybe you can inspect it somewhere else.

Pump Evap. Loss Leak Detection ( DMTL ) (Genuine Part # WTR000010 ) - Land Rover filler caps from Atlantic British
Roverguy, where do I find the loss detection pump under the hood?

Old 09-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bcolins
Roverguy, where do I find the loss detection pump under the hood?
It's not under the hood. It's on the passenger side frame rail next to the charcoal canister. If you look at the EVAP system layout below you will see the leak detection pump as #5. You can also see all the different vent tubes that can be cracked causing your problem. If your pump really is picking up a massive leak then it would be somewhere in this system.
Name:  NcNIZN8.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  78.1 KB

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 09-19-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
It's not under the hood. It's on the passenger side frame rail next to the charcoal canister. If you look at the EVAP system layout below you will see the leak detection pump as #5. You can also see all the different vent tubes that can be cracked causing your problem. If your pump really is picking up a massive leak then it would be somewhere in this system.
Wondering if there is some way to smoke test it with cigar smoke?? Anyone tried that?

Old 09-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Mudding

Wondering if there is some way to smoke test it with cigar smoke?? Anyone tried that?
I don't see why that wouldn't work, but it might take lot of smoke to fill the whole system. If there is a large leak you might be able to spot it but a small one would be tough without a lot of smoke that a cigar might not be able to produce. I guess the best way would be to unhook the purge valve and block off the air flow canister (#3 in the layout) somehow. Then blow smoke into the tube that connects to the purge valve. I would think someone under the truck looking for leaks while one person tries to continuously blow smoke into the system while trying not to pass out would be best.

It might be better to test smaller sections at a time. Maybe unhook the purge valve and follow it down and unhook the other end. Then block 1 end and blow smoke into the other. I'm not sure if it will work. I've smoke tested the engine for vac leaks but never the EVAP system. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Best4x4,....I may just go see Ken. What is your name, so I can tell him you sent me.

BTW, In Dallas, they have been doing simulated driving loops on a dyometer, one low speed, one high speed,...as part of the state inspection for 15 years.

Brian
My name is Tad & Ken can certainly fix your LR!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Since when does Bexar county have $40.00 inspection? I just moved outside Bexar county 3 years ago and it wasn't like that. I drive into San Antonio everyday and I can assure you there are plenty of vehicles that would fail a smog test running on the road.

If you want it fixed fast, I'd recommend a visit to Austin Roverworks and have your D2 looked at by a LR Master Tech
Translation - Bring your checkbook, wife's jewellery, and first born child. This is going to cost you.

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 09-20-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Help!DTC 1450 (Evap sys?)back on after new OE gas cap & Hyundai brand purge valve.