Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding a picture

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009 | 09:42 AM
Winching

I'd have the painter just do the best he can to prep and paint that spot with the same blue he's using on the bumper. It's high enough up on the truck that if it's not an exact match it'll likely go un-noticed for the most part. If you repaint the whole roof a different color you're going to get into some serious labor for prep-time. To start, you'd have to drop the headliner to remove the factory roof rails- which is about a 4hr job at flat-rate. You can remove the headliner yourself and re-install it when he's done if you want and save yourself a bunch of $$$ though. It's not all that difficult, just a real PITA. I recently dropped my headliner to mount some overhead lights and run some wiring for a rear worklamp, so I speak from experience! Oh, BTW, if you're going to drop the headliner and pull the factory roof-rails, I would highly recommend you see about replacing them with the rails from an '04. The larger diameter of the '04 equipment affords you more options when it comes to mounting overhead lights. I custom-fabricated a cross-bar for mine, then ran the wiring for my lights through the bar, flush against and into the factory roof rail, then through the roof and into the cab where I put the switches in the D2 six-pack of buttons using OEM auxiliary lighting buttons from a '95 RRC. It's a CLEAN install, no wiring is visible anywhere, and my lights look like they were a factory option!

Old 11-22-2009 | 01:18 PM
Mudding

The problem is probbly not the color, but the clearcoat. It will stick out like a sore thumb, even on the roof if you just spot paint it......

Old 11-22-2009 | 01:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
I custom-fabricated a cross-bar for mine, then ran the wiring for my lights through the bar, flush against and into the factory roof rail, then through the roof and into the cab where I put the switches in the D2 six-pack of buttons using OEM auxiliary lighting buttons from a '95 RRC. It's a CLEAN install, no wiring is visible anywhere, and my lights look like they were a factory option!

Pictures????

Old 11-22-2009 | 01:50 PM
|
Rock Crawling

I truthfully don't care about it sticking out. Can't be any worse than the current situation, and it's been that way for over a year. I really just want to do something about the rust before it turns into a serious cancer and requires much more to repair. I didn't think about all the crap that's gonna have to be removed from the roof to paint the whole thing, so I guess for the time being, it'll just be patched. I still want to eventually paint the whole roof white, so my original request still stands. If anybody runs across a pic of a Discovery with the roof painted white over a darker body, please post it up.

Old 11-22-2009 | 03:07 PM
TReK

you need to get some rust converter on there immediately to stop it from getting worse. Then you can put some touch up on it. It might not be pretty close up but I doubt it will be noticeable outside of 10 feet.

Old 11-22-2009 | 03:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Robmcin
Pictures????
Yeah, I've been meaning to post but life's been crazy lately. I finished the overhead-lights project up around the 3rd week of Oct, but we had a house fire on 10/23 and life's been chaotic since. I have some pics taken throughout the procedure, but I'm lacking a little in the post-op pics. Our digital camera was lost in the fire.

Old 11-22-2009 | 06:21 PM
|
Rock Crawling

That sucks dude. I'm excited to see the finished product. Sounds pretty sweet. I'll get some rust converter on there in the next couple of days, cuz it won't be painted for another couple of weeks at this point.

Old 11-22-2009 | 07:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Hooray!! I'm finally able to contribute to Land Rover Forums (I'm not much of a mechanic......)

Here's some pics (sort-of... look familiar? )

RedAustinIX (Ed)

Last edited by RedAustinIX; 11-22-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: forgot punctuation
The following users liked this post:
jevallinam (09-24-2021)
Old 11-23-2009 | 10:01 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Thanks Ed. I have Photoshop, but I have no idea how to use it. Guess I shoulda just asked for that from the start. Pics look great, now I have something to show my wife. I think for the immediate future, I'm gonna hold off on this. Ends up there's a lot more prep work involved than I had initially accounted for.

Old 11-23-2009 | 10:10 AM
Camel Trophy

Just my $.02, but I am not a fan of the white top. Cheapens it to me. I considered it until I saw anothe black on with the top painted white. It was also summer time, and it did not make it any cooler inside.

I would suggest a bottle of touch up paint. Just fill it up, and your painter should be able to wet sand it and buff it. It will blend pretty good and it is a ton cheaper thank painting the whole thing. I got a spot on my caddy, and it took 3 different types of touch up paint, but you can hardly see the chip now. There is not a way to spot paint it with a gun, you can't feather clear like that, and being on the roof, it will hold dirt in the spots.

Quick Reply: Help finding a picture