Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Heater Blower

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Help with Heater Blower

Of course it's not covered by the warrenty, nothing is ever covered by the extended warrenty.

Ask them to describe to you where the connection is, tell them that you need a week or so to come up with the money and that you need it to "get you buy" until you have the coin and see if they will show you where the connection is so that you can wiggle it when the fan goes out.
Then go to the store and buy a can of electrical parts cleaner, pull the connection apart, clean it, re connect.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just got back from dealer. He said that he removed the blower and replaced it and it still didn't work. So they jumped the old one and it worked fine. They checked fuses 1-20 and fuse #7(blower power supply) had no power. All the rest were fine.

Their solution was to replace the entire fuse block at a cost of 500+$. How does that work? Because one block is not providing power the wholefuse panelneeds replaced? I'm not sure how that works, but you would think that you could replace the singular block. Or at least clean it somehow. Fuse boxes can't be that complicated. Power comes in one side runs through the fuse and out the other. Anyone experience this before?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

As I understand it, there is some breakage between the incoming power wire connection (on the back of the fuse box) and the #7 fuse receptor (on the front). The wire is hot, the fuse is dead. It's inside the fuse block itself. Simple, cheap fix is cut the power wire into and out of the #7 fuse and connect to a separate in-line fuse of the same amperage.

Edit: another, less desirable, alternative is cut the incoming wire and place directly to the hot side of the existing fuse receptor (on the fuse box front) and replace the existing fuse. Only one wire cut this way, but a much less than professional result.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

That kinda makes sense. The fuse block is all one unit, no serviceable parts inside other than the fuses.
www.roverlandparts.com, see if they have a used one.
If you wanted to half a$$ it you could hot wire the blower to the battery with a toggle switch.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks. That is what I was thinking of doing, but not looking foreward to dragging out the fuse box.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Spike: I went to that landrover parts site and found the box for 100 dollars. I ordered it and had it sent 2-day. I looked at the removal of the box and its going to be a piece of cake. Thanks a million for pointing that site out. The dealer and other places wanted 380$ for the box. I really appreciate all your help with this. Let's just hope the dealers diagnostics were correct!!!
Thanks again and I look foreward to posting other things besides "my goddamn landrover is broke please help me!!"

Old 12-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Three Wheeling

I have kind of a funny update.....

I looked at that fuse block before I replaced it to make sure I could do it myself. It only has one nut on top and tilts out. Just a bunch of plugs in the back. This morning I started it up and the fan started running like a raped ape. Problem solved apparently....(but still going to replace it when it gets here!)

Old 12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

Always glad to help, I have lots of other sites too if you want them.
Just shout if/when you do, I have them book marked for quick referance.