Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on how to operate the 4X4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on how to operate the 4X4?

Hi guys. I have never use a 4X4 truck in my life so… please bear with me as I am learning.

Question 1: How to operate the 4X4 for street use
Question 2: Is the 4X4 light supposed to be off during street use?
Truck: 1995 Disco I (Gasoline)
Problem: 4X4 light on cluster is always on. If it is off, the gearbox does not engages
Special Info: There is not shaft between gearbox and front differential.

Story:
The shifter CAN be moved freely to the right and to the left. It can also be pushed forward/middle/backwards for the H, N & L settings (either with the shifter towards the left or with the shifter towards the right)… while the gearbox is on Neutral

If the shifter is towards the right, the 4X4 light on the cluster is OFF and the gearbox will NOT engage (neither on L or H).

If the shifter is towards the left, the 4X4 light on the cluster is ON and the gearbox DOES engage and the truck is drivable.

I’m not sure if I am wrong but I think that if the light on the cluster is ON, means is ready to be use OFF-ROAD. On the contrary, if the light on the cluster is OFF, means is ready for street use… is this correct?

Currently the truck can only be drive with the 4X4 light on… either on L or on H. If I leave it on L, well, there is significant more torque on the rear wheels and the gearbox stays only on gear 1 (maybe on 2… I don’t know). In contrast, if I leave it on H, again, with the 4X4 light on, the truck work fine, the gearbox switches between all gears and the ride is smooth BUT, the truck feels very slow and heavy. If I am driving on the highway at aprox 45 MPH and I accelerate to pass, I hear and feel the gearbox switching down and the engine revs very high (loud) but no real power to pass a car. It does accelerate but very weak increase of speed!

I know this trucks are not for racing, believe me, it is not my intention but I was once on a LR Disco I 1996 as a passenger (such truck is used as a daily driver) and the ride was very smooth and if the gearbox downshifts to pass a car, a response was felt and the truck felt like any other vehicle at 45 – 65 MPH…. Therefore, I am confused!

Can some one help teach me a little? Thank you in advance!!!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Help on how to operate the 4X4?

You need the drive shaft going from the transfer case to the front differential, when you move the lever to the left it is in Center Diff Lock so the power is split 50 to the front and 50 to the rear, when in the right the center diff lock is off it thinks that the front axle is getting more traction due to the drive shaft being missing, so get the drive shaft put on the front, and it will be good, but once you get the shaft then when on the street you want the 4x4 light off

Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: esaycho

...when in the right the center diff lock is off it thinks that the front axle is getting more traction due to the drive shaft being missing...
Thank you... it makes a lot of sense.

So, if I understood well:
The 4X4 light SHOULD be off during street driving.
1.- Once I get the missing shaft, and on street use, the shifter should be on the right and on H... right?
2.- Right now the truck is running on Center Diff Lock (50/50) and that is the reason why the truck feels heavy and it is not *fast* so to speak.

Is it dangerous to keep driving with Center Diff lock? (small trips... 5 or 10 miles... no highway)
How much is a drive shaft and where to buy it?

Any tips on what to look for when buying a used drive shaft?

What will be a guessing on why this truck is missing the drive shaft... broken front differential?

Again, thank you

Old 07-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Mudding

Right now, seeing as how center diff lock is the only way you can move, it is ok, but once you get the front drive shaft do not use it on the street, and yes you should keep it on high on the street, there could have been drive shaft problems, broken front diff, or maybe for some odd reason the PO likes 2WD, but get the front driveshaft as soon as possible because that will take it's toll on the drivetrain, after you get that fixed, you will enjoy your rover

Old 07-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Three Wheeling

If you plan on buying a used front shaft, make sure there is not too much play in the slip joint. It shouldn't really move too freely. I just replaced mine a few months ago and the old one slid in and out with no force at all. I would definitely recommend finding a good used one because new ones can go for $600 or $700. I found mine at a Rover shop in Colorado for like $125 and he shipped it to me in New York with no problem.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: adowgiert

If you plan on buying a used front shaft, make sure there is not too much play in the slip joint. It shouldn't really move too freely. I just replaced mine a few months ago and the old one slid in and out with no force at all. I would definitely recommend finding a good used one because new ones can go for $600 or $700. I found mine at a Rover shop in Colorado for like $125 and he shipped it to me in New York with no problem.
Yea, for sure I will be buying a used one!
What is a slip joint...? The universal joint at both ends?!
Why did you replace yours?

Is there a way to check the front differential with out the shaft? I figure that if the front wheels are spining (the truck moves anyways ) then the differential works... right?
I ask because if the front differential is toast, then I would not be interested on buying the shaft... instead I rather sell the Rover. I bet a used front differential is very expensive!!!

Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Three Wheeling

The slip joint is in between the two ends of the drive shaft and it allows the shaft to compress and extend, changing it's length. I'm not too sure what to tell you about the front differential. The other guys here know a hell of a lot more than I do.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: adowgiert

The slip joint is in between the two ends of the drive shaft and it allows the shaft to compress and extend, changing it's length. I'm not too sure what to tell you about the front differential. The other guys here know a hell of a lot more than I do.
Thanks.

Any one has something to share as far as how to test the front differential with out the drive shaft? and... what are the common cause for lacking the drive shaft?

Old 07-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Three Wheeling

The original drive shaft probably broke at some point and the owner chose not to replace it.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I have not stepped in on this post, as I sat here biteing my lip.
Before you do too naby things in the form of repairs or wheeling, I would really suggest you get some help from someone that knows Rovers. By what you have mentioned, you have no mechanical back ground and this is sounding like an accident waiting to happen. Do you know anyone who has a Rover that can help you repair the truck, and once repaired who will show you what makes your truck tick and how to properly use it. Is the either a Rover club or 4wheel drive club in your area that you can go wheeling with so you don't get stranded out in the middle of no where?
Don't mean to come down on you, but you need some on hands help badily.
Take care,
Mike

Quick Reply: Help on how to operate the 4X4?