Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on how to operate the 4X4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help on how to operate the 4X4?

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I have not stepped in on this post, as I sat here biteing my lip.
Before you do too naby things in the form of repairs or wheeling, I would really suggest you get some help from someone that knows Rovers. By what you have mentioned, you have no mechanical back ground and this is sounding like an accident waiting to happen. Do you know anyone who has a Rover that can help you repair the truck, and once repaired who will show you what makes your truck tick and how to properly use it. Is the either a Rover club or 4wheel drive club in your area that you can go wheeling with so you don't get stranded out in the middle of no where?
Don't mean to come down on you, but you need some on hands help badily.
Take care,
Mike
Hey body... easy there!!

I think very highly about you as you have answer some of my questions on the past and I continually read your answers to others. However, you are assuming here and remember “assumptions is the mother of al F**ck-ups”.

Sadly as you might think, I’m not planning on doing any off-road with my Rover. As much as many here hate people like me that buy Rover as “minivans”, I bought this Rover ONLY to pull a set of jet skies… the 4X4 comes handy on those slippery ramps/lakes ( I have not need a 4X4 in the past though). It is just not feasible to pull the jets skies neither with my 2 BMWs nor with my Beetle… I hope you agree with me on this paragraph!

Furthermore, you are right… I am not a mechanic but when I was 9 years old and up to my mid twenties, my dad owned a small race car factory and I was always helping on the building process (braking system, electrical system, exhaust system, of course some engine/head assembly and little on gearbox). Two weekends ago I did a head rebuilt on my old 1985 325e BMW… the car is up and running; in fact, my wife loves it and just went to buy groceries on it!

As far as 4X4 and Rover’s world, I know squat!! I was asking honest questions.

I bought this Rover extremely cheap from a guy that needed money. The opportunity was right and, me in need of a truck to pull my jet skies, I decided to buy it.

Wouldn’t you do the same?

I do most of the mechanical job on my cars so I thought, with some help from you guys here; I could have this Rover up and running for regular street use. I bought it almost a year ago but I was too busy with other project. I only drove it like for 50 miles. Currently I’m pulling my jet skies with my brother’s pickup truck. This Summer I am ready to work on the Rover!

Old 07-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Guys... is this what I need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Any advice on what to ask?

What other items/kits I will be needing to assemble this? Is this to be installed with special tools... only by mechanics?

Thank you in advance!!

Old 07-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Ed,
Thanks for yor reply, I was a little worried.
Yes, if you are needing a front drive shaft fpr a 96 D1, that is the baby.
I don't know if I would trust that old u-joint it is coming with, might want to drop a new one on it, no special tools required to switch out the u-joint or the drive shaft. Make sure you grease the u-joint and the slip shaft on the drive line before installing. As far as that goes, grease the rear one also.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 07-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Ed,
Thanks for yor reply, I was a little worried.
Yes, if you are needing a front drive shaft fpr a 96 D1, that is the baby.
I don't know if I would trust that old u-joint it is coming with, might want to drop a new one on it, no special tools required to switch out the u-joint or the drive shaft. Make sure you grease the u-joint and the slip shaft on the drive line before installing. As far as that goes, grease the rear one also.
Good luck,
Mike
Sorry for a stupid question but, should I ask if the shaft is straight?
The slip joints are on the truck or on the shaft? DO you have a picture of one of them?

So as I recently learned, it is safe to say that the front drive shaft commonly brakes... not for a malfunction but is a risk of off-roading? With this in mind, I can assume that this truck was heavily used on off-roads??!!

As always, thanks for your help

Old 07-12-2006, 02:37 AM
Three Wheeling

Well, I bought that drive shaft I posted earlier... I hope it is a good one!

Which end goes to the gearbox and which to the front differential? Or, is it obvious once I am on the truck with the shaft?

Disco Mike, so no special aligning, balancing or matching is needed to install the shaft?

Can some one answer my questions on previous post?