Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help identify the correct nuts for rear propshaft please

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Help identify the correct nuts for rear propshaft please

Got the replacement rubber coupling installed on my rear propshaft after much trial and error.... but 2 bolts and 2 nuts from the kit got ruined (the threads got warped) so I need to replace them AND the smaller ny-lock nuts for the drum end of the rear shaft desperately need to be replaced as well. Went to local hardware store and NAPA and wasted $10 on hardware that just does not fit right. They dont sell the correct size ny-lock nuts nor the bolts I need so I'm reaching out to you guys as a last resort.

Can someone help me "pinpoint" the specific hardware needed for the rear rotoflex propshaft from Atlantic British website? These are the bolts for the diff end of the shaft Bolt Prop Shaft Rubber Coupling (Part # FTC4043) - Land Rover driveshafts from Atlantic British, but I also need the correct nuts for these bolts AND the correct nuts for the drum end of the rear propshaft. AB and RoversNorth are closed on the weekends and I already browsed their online catalog. To many options and I dont want to order the wrong parts. Needs the hardware asap and I would appreciate any help. If you can just send me the links to the correct nuts from the AB website I would be very thankful!

Last edited by TRIARII; 02-02-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Take your "old" nuts and bolts, match up the length, make sure they are a high grade, get stainless steel so it wont rust.
Do not use the kits nylock nuts or bolts, either get new ones or use lock washers.
They dont have to be the "correct" thread pitch/count because you are buying all new hardware.
All you need to worry about is length and diameter.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
Take your "old" nuts and bolts, match up the length, make sure they are a high grade, get stainless steel so it wont rust.
Do not use the kits nylock nuts or bolts, either get new ones or use lock washers.
They dont have to be the "correct" thread pitch/count because you are buying all new hardware.
All you need to worry about is length and diameter.
Spike I just spend half an hour at NAPA and the other day another half an hour at a local hardware store. Brought in the bad nuts and bolts so the owner could use them as a reference to help find the correct size hardware..... nothing. The nuts they suggested dont screw on the bolts all the way and theres to much wiggle room on the bolt. For now I just want the parts from the kit (without spending another $80 for the kit). The hardware included in the kit fits perfectly and the nuts screw on snug the way they should.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't remember on the rotoflex, but the other end is the same as the front, 3/8x24 grade 5.
Don't use stainless, they are weaker than grade 5 unless you can find mil spec or high strength, which I doubt you can if you can't find anything that will fit.
A real hardware store will have something to fit the rotoflex.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anti is right 3/8-24 go to fastinal

Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Baja

The rotoflex bolts are M12 x 65.
I don't know the thread pitch but if you're buying matching nuts and bolts it doesn't matter too much, but if you have a choice go with finer thread.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 PM
TReK

The problem I was having with the nuts and bolts I bought from NAPA and the hardware store is that either they were to long, or to short or the nuts did not screw all the way down on the bolts. This in turn made the bolts wiggle around alot even when installed on the rotoflex coupling. I just found the correct hardware thanks to the diagram based catalog on the RoversNorth website. Ended up spending $40+ just for 2 bolts, 2 nuts (for the rotoflex), 4 ny-lock nuts (for the brake drum) and drum securing screw. Sucks but now at least I have the correct hardware for to complete the job. I also just ordered a percision u-joint from rockauto and next week I'm getting the rear propshaft re-balanced before I install all the new hardware and u-joint. Below is a reference of the hardware for the rear propshaft for future reference in case anyone needs that info.

The rotoflex bolts: BOLT M12 x 65mm
The rotoflex nuts: LOCKNUT M12 PROPSHAFT
The Ny-lock nuts for the drum: NYLOC NUT 3/8"
and the drum securing screw: SCREW M8 x 20mm BRAKE DISC/TRANS BRAKE

Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Ended up spending $40+ just for 2 bolts, 2 nuts (for the rotoflex), 4 ny-lock nuts (for the brake drum) and drum securing screw.
Whoever it was, I hope they gave you some Vaseline first.

Last edited by antichrist; 02-02-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by antichrist
Whoever it was, I hope they gave you some Vaseline first.
RoversNorth lol. Wanted to buy from Atlantic British but their online catalog is not as detailed in regards to finding the correct parts etc and I did not feel like waiting until Monday to submit an order. Plus RN is only afew hours away and they ship much faster than AB.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
RoversNorth lol. Wanted to buy from Atlantic British but their online catalog is not as detailed in regards to finding the correct parts etc and I did not feel like waiting until Monday to submit an order. Plus RN is only afew hours away and they ship much faster than AB.
If you ordered from AB today, and opted for FedEx, you would have your bolts on Tues.
They too are only a few hours away from you.

Quick Reply: Help identify the correct nuts for rear propshaft please