Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me familiarize myself to my Disco

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me familiarize myself to my Disco

5 months and 11 days after towing my Disco home, yesterday was the first day I actually drove the truck for a several miles.I drove it to the car wash so I can give the under carriage a goob bath. Itdrove good, no adverse rattling, squeaking, jerkingor banging. Engine temp was excellent, it stayed below the middle mark. When Igot on a open roadI could see the temp gauge go down ever so slightly (maybe that was in my head so don't burst my bubble)Suspensionfelt decent, trans shifted excellent. IfI didn'tknow better I would have thought this ZF trans was a variable transmisson likesomeof the newer vehicles. The reason I'm saying that is because I could barely tell when the trans was upshifting and for a mechanical trans I was really impressed.Brakes felt good and considering they are new pads and rotors I can only expect them to perform better as they get seated in.

Now back to the topic on hand. I have some basic generalquestions, so lets begin

1) Does the remote control lock and unlock the drivers door?
I'm no positively sure, but during the past 5 months I could have sworn the remote control didlock/unlock the drivers door. Couple days ago I did change theLF door latch spring soI'm not sure if I left something disconnected. The remote does lock/unlock all the other doors plus the tailgate.

2) Does the brake light come on with the ignition off?
I notice my brakes lights will not come on with the ignition off. With the ignition in the on position, the lights work as design.

3) Is there afuse for the auxiliary electric fans?
Back when I was having a overheating problem, I never saw or heard the electric fans kick in.Even withthe AC onthe fans still will not come on. I can see the electric fans turn from the air flow of the mechanical fan, so I canassume the motor is not frozen.I've checked all fuses in the passenger compartment and engine bay, nothing blown. I've read there's a fan switch I can jump to see if thefans engage. Where's that switch?

4) What's theLR technical name for the trim piece under the headlight.
The mounting tab for myright trimis broken, which effects how the turn signal is secured.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?422601-238

5) Can someone show me where the OEM lug nut wrench is kept.
I have the two piece lug nut wrench and the pouch it's kept in, but I have no idea where it's suppose to be kept. I've already secure the jack in the engine compartment and I assume that's a wheel chuck that mouted over the jack.

6) Is the trans fluid suppose to be checked when cold?
Before taking my maiden voyage I had the engine idling for several minutes which got the engine and trans to operating temp. I pulled the trans dipstick and to my surprise it's stamped on the dipstick to check fluid when cold.One thing that did get my attention was the level and condition of the trans fluid. According to the dipstick, the level was high andthe fluid was foamy.Is that what happens when you check the trans while hot?

7) How many digit does the radio code consist of?

8) Do all three interior lights (front passenger, rear passenger and cargo) come on at the same time?
I notice my rear passenger light is not coming on when the doors are open. Even with the push button switch they still will not come on. It's probably just a blown bulb but I'm curious should all three come on at the same time.

9) Does the alarm have a feature that prevents the ignition key from turning if it's armed?
On couple occasions I was unable to turn the ignition key.I had my head through the window while trying to turn the key. I couldn't tell if the alarm was active or not, I didn't notice if the LED was flashing. After I realize the key wouldn't turn, I enable and disable the alarm a couple times with the remote, then I was able to turn the key. Was that in my head?

10) Is there a sliding shade for the front sunroof like the rear sunroof?

11) Does the gas door lid only opens with a key?
Is there a release lever somewhere?

12) Steering wheel lock number
While checking my brake light switch I notice thislabel up under the steering cloumn. It's a 4 digit number. Is this numberfor a replacement ignition key?

13) From looking at the above pic, can you tell if my remote is a OEM piece or aftermarket?
The buttons are so worn I can't tell with button does what.

14) The auto feature in the rear view mirror
Is that a auto dimming featurethat adjust the angle of the rear view mirror is someone is behind you with bright lights?Can the dimming feature be tested with a flashlight? Considering how high you sit in the LR i bet this feature is hardly ever used.

15) The red light right next to the bumper signal light, how and when does that light come on?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Help me familiarize myself to my Disco

ORIGINAL: CandiMan

5 months and 11 days after towing my Disco home, yesterday was the first day I actually drove the truck for a several miles.I drove it to the car wash so I can give the under carriage a goob bath. Itdrove good, no adverse rattling, squeaking, jerkingor banging. Engine temp was excellent, it stayed below the middle mark. When Igot on a open roadI could see the temp gauge go down ever so slightly (maybe that was in my head so don't burst my bubble)Suspensionfelt decent, trans shifted excellent. IfI didn'tknow better I would have thought this ZF trans was a variable transmisson likesomeof the newer vehicles. The reason I'm saying that is because I could barely tell when the trans was upshifting and for a mechanical trans I was really impressed.Brakes felt good and considering they are new pads and rotors I can only expect them to perform better as they get seated in.

Now back to the topic on hand. I have some basic generalquestions, so lets begin

1) Does the remote control lock and unlock the drivers door?
I'm no positively sure, but during the past 5 months I could have sworn the remote control didlock/unlock the drivers door. Couple days ago I did change theLF door latch spring soI'm not sure if I left something disconnected. The remote does lock/unlock all the other doors plus the tailgate. It should do

2) Does the brake light come on with the ignition off?
I notice my brakes lights will not come on with the ignition off. With the ignition in the on position, the lights work as design. NOPE

3) Is there afuse for the auxiliary electric fans?
Back when I was having a overheating problem, I never saw or heard the electric fans kick in.Even withthe AC onthe fans still will not come on. I can see the electric fans turn from the air flow of the mechanical fan, so I canassume the motor is not frozen.I've checked all fuses in the passenger compartment and engine bay, nothing blown. I've read there's a fan switch I can jump to see if thefans engage. Where's that switch?

4) What's theLR technical name for the trim piece under the headlight.
The mounting tab for myright trimis broken, which effects how the turn signal is secured.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?422601-238Finisher Headlight

5) Can someone show me where the OEM lug nut wrench is kept.
I have the two piece lug nut wrench and the pouch it's kept in, but I have no idea where it's suppose to be kept. I've already secure the jack in the engine compartment and I assume that's a wheel chuck that mouted over the jack. In the tool bag in the back door pocket

6) Is the trans fluid suppose to be checked when cold?
Before taking my maiden voyage I had the engine idling for several minutes which got the engine and trans to operating temp. I pulled the trans dipstick and to my surprise it's stamped on the dipstick to check fluid when cold.One thing that did get my attention was the level and condition of the trans fluid. According to the dipstick, the level was high andthe fluid was foamy.Is that what happens when you check the trans while hot?

7) How many digit does the radio code consist of? Usually 4

8) Do all three interior lights (front passenger, rear passenger and cargo) come on at the same time?
I notice my rear passenger light is not coming on when the doors are open. Even with the push button switch they still will not come on. It's probably just a blown bulb but I'm curious should all three come on at the same time. YES, providing all are in the switched ON position

9) Does the alarm have a feature that prevents the ignition key from turning if it's armed?
On couple occasions I was unable to turn the ignition key.I had my head through the window while trying to turn the key. I couldn't tell if the alarm was active or not, I didn't notice if the LED was flashing. After I realize the key wouldn't turn, I enable and disable the alarm a couple times with the remote, then I was able to turn the key. Was that in my head? I think so

10) Is there a sliding shade for the front sunroof like the rear sunroof?
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?422601-238 Should be 2 blinds on each sunroof

11) Does the gas door lid only opens with a key?
Is there a release lever somewhere? D1 no, D2 release only

12) Steering wheel lock number
While checking my brake light switch I notice thislabel up under the steering cloumn. It's a 4 digit number. Is this numberfor a replacement ignition key?
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?422601-238I thinkso yes

13) From looking at the above pic, can you tell if my remote is a OEM piece or aftermarket?
The buttons are so worn I can't tell with button does what. OEM one unlocks the other locks

14) The auto feature in the rear view mirror
Is that a auto dimming featurethat adjust the angle of the rear view mirror is someone is behind you with bright lights?Can the dimming feature be tested with a flashlight? Considering how high you sit in the LR i bet this feature is hardly ever used.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?422601-238 yes, and yesit can be tested with a flashlight

15) The red light right next to the bumper signal light, how and when does that light come on?
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?422601-238 D1 rear tail lights, Early D2 rear fog lights

Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have always checked my trans fluid when hot, if it is overfilled it will foam.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

#3 - there is a switch on your radiator that triggers them. Can't remember the temp it kicks off at. Wait, it might be by your t-stat housing. Eithre one, I am not sure. The fans should come on when you kick on your a/c as well

#5 - The jack handles, lug wrench, and roof rack cross bars fit in the bag, roll up and go under the back seat. There should be a little velcro strap to secure it to the front bar on the floor under the rear seat.

#7 - 3 failed attempts and you have to leave the truck on with the radio on for 1 hour for it to accept any more codes. Sucks

Old 08-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Spike555
I have always checked my trans fluid when hot, if it is overfilled it will foam.
That's always been the norm when checking any auto trans fluid. Withthe dipstick staying check when cold and now I've found the same wording in the service manual. Maybe the guys at LR wanted it to be checked at cold fora reason.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...jpg?282321-243

Does anyone know what seals the trasfer box botton cover Gasket, o-ring orbad silicone. I checked British Atlantic and did not see anything

Old 08-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I never read the owners ,manual on how to check the trans fluid, in all the cars I have ever owned it was always hot in park.

As for the t-case gasket, most just use RTV sealant.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Spike555
I never read the owners ,manual on how to check the trans fluid, in all the cars I have ever owned it was always hot in park.
As for the t-case gasket, most just use RTV sealant.
I'm with you on the trans fluid.Thanks for the info on the t-case lower cover

Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you check your transmission fluid when it's hot? Especially with not dipstick?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Russratt
How do you check your transmission fluid when it's hot? Especially with not dipstick?
You don't. The fluid should be checked stone cold if possible.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Candiman,

Re: Engine temp was excellent, it stayed below the middle mark

Overheating is the chief nemesis of the Disco engine. Overheating the aluminum block may cause expensive $ issues such as slipped liners, leaking head gaskets, etc.

The factory dash gauge is useless as it does not display engine temps linearly. If I recollect correctly, the middle mark on the gauge inidicates a 170 to 230-deg F range. Once the temp goes past 230-deg F, the gauge will jump straight to red. By then, it may be too late and you are facing a possible range of expensive issues which I mentioned above.

I suggest investing in a gauge which measures the exact, live coolant temp such as an Ultraguage or Scanguage:

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Quick Reply: Help me familiarize myself to my Disco