Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me ID this leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help me ID this leak

good morning, i noticed a few small spots in my driveway and found below leaks coming from the rear seal. any suggestions on how to tackle this problem? or should i just keep checking the oil level? the last owner said he never notice any leaks, however, i park my truck in the drive way (sloped) not sure if that has anything to do with it.

also, anyone tried white shepherd/blue devil rear main seal ? do you think it might help?

thanks,

Last edited by davidpx858; 06-19-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Main seal or crucifix seals. Possible oil pan gasket, but doubtful. Blue Devil works well. I have a small seepage and was not willing to seperate the engine for the rear main for what amounted to 1mm spot. Can of BD swelled up the seal and good to go. and I am not a typical user of those "fixes".

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (06-20-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 11:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HuskerRover
Main seal or crucifix seals. Possible oil pan gasket, but doubtful. Blue Devil works well. I have a small seepage and was not willing to seperate the engine for the rear main for what amounted to 1mm spot. Can of BD swelled up the seal and good to go. and I am not a typical user of those "fixes".
thanks, can you point me to which blue devil product to order? there are a few...

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-19-2020, 11:31 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HuskerRover
this one?

Old 06-19-2020, 05:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Start with the PCV mod first, see if that addresses it. After that, tighten the outside valve cover bolts. If it is still leaking after that I would live with it. You can do the crucifix seals, but it the leak rate is slow I don't really think it is worth it.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (06-20-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Did you change oil lately? What viscosity did you use?

Oil leaks can be a basta*d to trackdown sometimes. In that area, it could be valve cover gaskets, valley pan, oil pan or rear main.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:29 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

That leak that you see all the way down at the bellhousing bottom, I had the exact same issue after dropping my oil pan and changing bearings. It turned out that oil was coming out of the valve cover gaskets and running down the block. Top valve cover gasket bolts were totally loose. Good place to start, although you will need to pull the upper intake.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:12 PM
Drifting

i did..i just checked the dip stick and noticed the oil level is about 2inches above the FULL mark. could this be the reason? should i just drain it and refill? oil change was done by a shop

Old 06-20-2020, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Did you change oil lately? What viscosity did you use?

Oil leaks can be a basta*d to trackdown sometimes. In that area, it could be valve cover gaskets, valley pan, oil pan or rear main.

i did..i just checked the dip stick and noticed the oil level is about 2inches above the FULL mark. could this be the reason? should i just drain it and refill? oil change was done by a shop

Old 06-20-2020, 11:18 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Start with the PCV mod first, see if that addresses it. After that, tighten the outside valve cover bolts. If it is still leaking after that I would live with it. You can do the crucifix seals, but it the leak rate is slow I don't really think it is worth it.

have you done this first ?????? If not your going to go in circles.
This is your first priority

Quick Reply: Help me ID this leak