Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with these tow wheel/tire options, see pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with these two wheel/tire options, see pics!

1. Stock 18's with brand new Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60/18. Done for $800
2. 16 Rims off craigslist for $200 then GY Duratracs 245/75/16.

Concerns:
-Coopers rub up front at steering lock, are 10lbs heavier per tire than the Duratracs.
-Don't wanna lift, wanna keep C of G low.
-Don't wanna modify axles and gears.
-Need spacers at least up front to clear steering rub
-Concerned about loss of articulation space with such a big tire (Coopers) while off road
-Coopers are nice and wide and stable, Duratracs are narrower, on a narrower rim.
-Concerned about safety/traction in the snow

Truck is a daily driver, 1 mile to work! and we take it to mammoth skiing and to desert camping, no crawling.
Here are pics of mounted Coopers:

Last edited by surfdc; 02-01-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Three Wheeling

those look great on those 18"s. i have the same rims and want to go a bit more aggresive without a lift and i like those Coopers. I am assuming they rub on the insides of the wheel wells right, not the outside?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by aussiedg87
those look great on those 18"s. i have the same rims and want to go a bit more aggresive without a lift and i like those Coopers. I am assuming they rub on the insides of the wheel wells right, not the outside?
Yea, had to take the front inside fender covers off at the tire shop, easy 4 screws. They rub at full R and L turn on the arm, see pic below:

Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

so what is you question? the tires on the 16" rims will be one inch smaller in height and thinner. so if you are looking to take a step back and not have to worry about rubbing than go with the 16's. but you don't need spacers you can adjust the bump stops if its hitting the radius arms. i think the good year is a better tire for when u head off road but with a 1 mile commute how is you MPG a problem?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
so what is you question? the tires on the 16" rims will be one inch smaller in height and thinner. so if you are looking to take a step back and not have to worry about rubbing than go with the 16's. but you don't need spacers you can adjust the bump stops if its hitting the radius arms. i think the good year is a better tire for when u head off road but with a 1 mile commute how is you MPG a problem?
Sorry, question is which of the 2 options is safer, less strain on vehicle, but best in snow.
Don't really care about MPG, in summer I walk or ride my bike to work, Disco is for bombing around town, fun and trips!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

neither are going to put excessive stress on the drivetrain if that is what you are worried about. personally i would go with the 16 inch rims with an A/T tire. The Cooper Zeon is a hybrid street A/T where the goodyear is a straight A/T. BUT i would say check these out before you get the goodyears http://www.treadwright.com/p-34-245-...den-a-t-e.aspx

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
neither are going to put excessive stress on the drivetrain if that is what you are worried about. personally i would go with the 16 inch rims with an A/T tire. The Cooper Zeon is a hybrid street A/T where the goodyear is a straight A/T. BUT i would say check these out before you get the goodyears http://www.treadwright.com/p-34-245-...den-a-t-e.aspx
UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with my tire guy and he is totally willing to exchange the Coopers for Duratrac's 245/75/16 if I get rims. He is awesome, I would recommend if in San Diego, http://sdtireandwheel.com/
Considering this because my independent Rover shop say the Coopers are just too big. (He also recommends an LR3!)
Also Duratrac is an all around better tire for snow/off-road traction.
Thoughts....?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those coopers are not too big and won't put too much extra strain on the drivetrain. They are really heavy duty tires actually and should wear pretty well. As far as the rubbing you need to put hub centric spacers on the front and do some major trimming. That being said if you can get the duratracs on 16" wheels go for it.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As a rule of thumb, wider is worse in the snow, period. You want to dig into the snow for traction, not ride on top of it. Mud/dirt would be fine going wider, but if snow is a big concern, think about the stock width tire or narrower.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go with the Duratracs, yes they will be safer in the snow because they will have better traction.

Quick Reply: Help me with these tow wheel/tire options, see pics!