Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! mechanic said i need a new engine in my 2000 disco II

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP! mechanic said i need a new engine in my 2000 disco II

ok so i took my beloved rover to the local import mechanic to get a diagnostic and a pressure test on the coolant system. verdict: blown head gasket(s), needs new water pump, needs new radiator hoses (this i knew - got the part just aint installed them yet) possible upper head rupture, possible screwed up valves, and etc.etc. a couple of misc error codes (all pertaining to o2 sensors - this i also knew - my baby was scheduled for a tune up as well). the mechanic quoted some exorberant prices for R/R. i know his posted rates are $78 /hr
here is my question: is it better to rebuilt (motor has $135k) or replace? and what resources do i have to check for better pricing on parts or whole rebuilt motors?

i will update this post with the actual list of faults and finding as soon as i locate the paperwork from the mechanic.

thanks!
pilsner
2000 disco II w/135k and no longer counting
ft lewis WA

Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! mechanic said i need a new engine in my 2000 disco II

I am planning to replace my engine when it goes belly up (hopefully never!). Check out this website for used Rover engines. Why did you take it in? Was it leaking or not running well? Even if it is ready to die, drive it until it dies.

http://www.roverlandparts.com/1999-2...y55kmiles.aspx

If you have secondary air injection just swap the equipment from the old motor to the "new" one. Good luck!

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling

If you do need to replace the engine you could swap in a 4.6 . I would avoid an 03 in the vin range with the faulty oil pumps.

Willie

Old 10-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Winching

more info: new thermostat 2 months ago because my baby was overheating frequently. radiator has NOT been flushed yet. it is not leaking any coolant and i havent found any foamy oil or white exhaust or oil in coolant. vehicle tends to do fine in the city but as soon as i get on interstate it over heats. possible water pump or pump seal problem? id assume that if it was leaking i would find coolant SOMEWHERE - it only leaks from the overflow tube on the resevior.
any ideas on stuff to check or rule out before i start looking for a new engine and/or declare the head gaskets blown?

thanks

pilsner 2000 disco II w 135k
ft lewis WA

Old 10-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Rock Crawling

If you want another shop to give you a second opinion there is a shop in Aurora called Best Service and repair 935 N. 96th. St. Seattle Wa. 98103 206-525-0240. This is where I go for the more difficult jobs.They are very good with Land Rovers and other european cars.They give free diagnosis with the special land rover test equipment. Some shops charge over $100 just to plug in their code reader.

Willie

Old 10-04-2008, 02:51 PM
TReK

I agree with willie about getting a second opinion.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, second opinion. Sounds like the first mechanic is trying to keep from going bankrupt.
If it only overheats when on the expressway it is either a bad water pump or clogged radiator.
But to answer your question, here are some parts suppliers.
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roverlandparts.com
www.cartalk.com and use the mechanix files link to find a recommended shop in your area.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, is a "preventive Head Gasket replacement" ever in order, to prevent this catastrophe?

Also- do Discos have Temperature gauges (as opposed to just lights)? If not, has anyone installed one?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The only way to prevent a head gasket failer is to flush the cooling system every 45,000 miles or every 3 years as DexCool is corrosive if not properly maintained.
Why spend $2,000 before you need to? And if you can spend $30 every two years and never have to replace the head gaskets, why not go that route?
I change my coolant every 30,000 miles in every car I have ever owned, never had a problem.
And every Land Rover comes with a tach, speed do, fuel gauge and temp gauge and a trip OD. Oil PSI and voltage would be nice.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohhh, OIL Psi was the thing I noticed they didn't have... I knew it was one or the other!

So, can every head-gasket failure be attributed to corrosive coolant?

Quick Reply: HELP! mechanic said i need a new engine in my 2000 disco II