Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:18 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help Needed

Hello All,
I own a 2002-3 Disco Sii Petrol V8 with 114384 Km.
Problem - Transmission, Handbrake Assy.
The M,S warning lights first started October of last year (once), then November (twice) and again December (once) and now more regularly April, May. It was looked at by LandRover earlier this year with no faults found and it was explained to me that this was a regular problem with these vehicles. The handbrake has been playing up recently; the handbrake handle will not lower to its rest position without manipulation. Driving home from work Thursday 7th May 10km's from door to door, stopped at traffic lights and the handbrake release **** fell off of handle, M,S warning lights illuminated on dash, no time to reset and vehicle sluggish on takeoff, handbrake handle hot to the touch. I pulled over reset motor, nursed vehicle home last 2km's, rang my mate Aussie and I took vehicle to his shop with no further incident. What has just happened? Is there a link between Transmission and Handbrake? Electrical fault? What’s the cost to rectify – complete Handbrake assembly, Recondition Transmission?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch..

I own a DI, the E-Brake is a drum brake on the Driveline going to the rear axle..
Unlike most vehicles that us the rear brakes as E-Brake ours uses the Driveline.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your parking brake cable is shorting something out and if left alone you could start a fire.
You will need to crawl under the truck and check it all out.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 AM
4th Gear

Thanks Pancho, I will have a look.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 AM
4th Gear

Thanks Spike555 & Pancho,
My Mate Aussie had a look today seems to think that the heat is coming from the Transmission and the the E-Brake was wound to far out. Caution is to be taken when the M,S lights come back on he wants me to bring it in, mentioned something about a sensor.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When the M&S lights are on then the transmission goes into "limp" mode and you only have 3rd gear.
Most of the time this is caused from low battery voltage to the transmission computer, either from a bad battery or a failing alternator.
But, I have heard of the parking brake handle getting really hot on a DI before and it was because of a electrical short.
A ground wire came off and was hanging on the p-brake cable sending electrical current through the p-brake cable thus shorting out and heating up the p-brake handle like a toaster.
You said that your parking brake handle was really hot at the same time your M&S lights were on...so look for a electrical short as well as test your battery and alternator.
PLEASE let us know what you figure out.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:43 AM
4th Gear
Default Thank You

Thanks Spike555,

I took it back to Landrover here in my town, and they found the fault which was a loose negative lead which was shorting out on the handbrake somewhere and sending fault messages to the dash hence the M&S lights. Since then it has been running like it should. Thanks Again