Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - New Discovery Owner but Bought from BAD owner and won't run.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 06:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - New Discovery Owner but Bought from BAD owner and won't run.

I bought a 1999 Land Rover Discovery II from old British car mechanic but he wasn't a very good mechanic and he left it in his front yard for years until it would no longer run or start.

Here is what I have done so far:

Cleaned the truck inside and out because the sunroof was leaking and it was very moldy inside, none of the switches for the windows etc work because of the water.
I replaced the fuel pump because I thought it was the problem, so that is new and I can hear it working.
I have run a wire from the starter solenoid to the battery to crank it over because the key will not start the truck.
When I turn the ignition on the M & S lights flash on the dash and so does the "gear indicator?"
One of my scan tools says the truck thinks it is in 4th gear all the time, the other says it cannot communicate with the module.
I have removed the XYZ module and taken it apart, the microswitches look in good shape but it is expensive and I don't want to replace it if I have bigger problems.

If I turn the ignition on and use my wire ran to the starter solenoid the engine fires up and sounds good but dies a second later, the key needs turned off and back on again before it will start again for a second.
When holding down the gas pedal and starting it the engine revs up and sounds great but also dies a second later.

The immobilizer light is not illuminated but it seems like I have a computer system that is killing the engine when it starts, I tried the default immobilizer code just for fun but I am not sure it would even work as none of the power door locks function either.

Does anyone have any guesses on where I should look to get the engine to stay running? This truck is actually pretty nice to work on so far and I would to save it if I can but I when dealing with the computer I am not sure where to begin. I do have very expensive scan tools and can run tests if anyone has an idea.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Sounds just like a bad MAF sensor. Unplug it and see if it runs any longer.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm assuming you're getting code P0734, which is actually a sign that the MAF is bad.

I would also remove and clean the idle air control valve, and replace the spark plugs and wires. They probably work, but you want to make it as easy for your engine as you can to maintain a spark. The inability to start the car using the key is probably a bad relay. You'll find it in the engine compartment fuse box. Check all your fuses and relays while you're at it.

I would also check your computers under the glovebox for mold or signs of moisture intrusion.

Regarding the XYZ sensor, it may just be misaligned. It has a certain degree of rotation. Make sure that the gear indicator on the dash shows the actual gear for all gears, and rotate the switch as needed if one doesn't show up. Since you have it out, you can also check for continuity at the plug under each configuration. There are charts online for what that should look like.

Last edited by Jason Feuerstein; 09-17-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Extinct
Sounds just like a bad MAF sensor. Unplug it and see if it runs any longer.
I disconnected the MAF sensor and it is exactly the same it runs for a second and then stops.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Are you modulating the throttle when you start it? If you're having trouble maintaining idle, you should be able to keep it running with your foot. If you can't, it's likely something more significant.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:44 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Jason Feuerstein
I'm assuming you're getting code P0734, which is actually a sign that the MAF is bad.

I would also remove and clean the idle air control valve, and replace the spark plugs and wires. They probably work, but you want to make it as easy for your engine as you can to maintain a spark. The inability to start the car using the key is probably a bad relay. You'll find it in the engine compartment fuse box. Check all your fuses and relays while you're at it.

I would also check your computers under the glovebox for mold or signs of moisture intrusion.

Regarding the XYZ sensor, it may just be misaligned. It has a certain degree of rotation. Make sure that the gear indicator on the dash shows the actual gear for all gears, and rotate the switch as needed if one doesn't show up. Since you have it out, you can also check for continuity at the plug under each configuration. There are charts online for what that should look like.

I only got code P0734 when I started the truck with the MAF disconnected. The only engine code I am getting is DTC 94 "Anti-Theft Alarm Serial Link"

I did check all the fuses and only one was bad, the one for the radiator fan which I have replaced.

I moved the XYZ Sensor when I had it out with a screwdriver and connected to the truck and it never showed any gear except fourth on my scan tool, it is either bad or not communicating at all.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 AM
4wd Low

Are you modulating the throttle when you start it? If you're having trouble maintaining idle, you should be able to keep it running with your foot. If you can't, it's likely something more significant.
The engine runs great it is obvious that the computer is shutting it down. It is not like it is barely running or stuttering.

I did find this and it sounds similar to what is going on with my truck but I am afraid I have too many parts of the security system that are not working.

Failure to Start - "Passive Immobilization" Enabled

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:

Discovery Series II (LT) All

SITUATION:

VEHICLE MAY NOT CRANK AFTER BEING UNLOCKED

The customer may complain that occasionally the vehicle will not crank. This may be because the Non-NAS Passive Immobilization feature has been accidentally turned on in production or during repair operations.

If Passive Immobilization is enabled, the vehicle will immobilize itself if the ignition key is not turned to position "II" or the engine is not started within 30 seconds of unlocking the vehicle. With the ignition key in position "II", the vehicle will show that it is in the immobilized state by illuminating the alarm LED continuously. The engine will not crank if the ignition key is turned in an attempt to start the engine.

RESOLUTION:

REPLACE BCU WITH NEW OR RE-PROGRAMMED UNIT

To turn off the Passive Immobilization feature, replace the BCU with a new unit ensuring that the proper installation procedure is followed. Alternatively, after contacting the LRNA HelpLine send the original BCU to Land Rover to be re-programmed and install the re-programmed unit ensuring that the proper installation procedure is followed.

PARTS INFORMATION:

YWC000310 BCU

WARRANTY CLAIMS:

86.55.75 Time 0.50 hrs.
Install new or re-programmed BCU

FAULT CODE: A

Normal warranty policy and procedures apply

REPAIR PROCEDURE

SYMPTOM VERIFICATION OF ACTIVATED PASSIVE IMMOBILIZATION

1. Unlock the vehicle and wait one minute.

2. With the ignition off, verify that the anti-theft alarm LED in the instrument pack blinks slowly.

3. Turn the ignition key to position "II" and verify the alarm LED is on continuously. This indicates an immobilized condition.

4. Check that Passive Immobilization is on by attempting to start the vehicle with the LED on continuously.

5. If the vehicle does not start, confirm that Passive Immobilization is turned on as follows:

^ Turn off ignition and remove the key.

^ Press the unlock button on the plip once.

^ Attempt to restart the vehicle within 30 seconds.

^ If the vehicle starts normally, Passive Immobilization is activated. The BCU must be replaced or reprogrammed by Land Rover after contacting the LRNA HelpLine.

TESTBOOK VERIFICATION OF ACTIVATED "PASSIVE IMMOBILIZATION"

NOTE: The Bosch Engine Management ECU may flag a P1668 Fault Code if an attempt to start the vehicle is made when Passive Immobilization is activated. This will only be evident by interrogating the Bosch Engine Management ECU with TestBook. The fault will not turn on the Check Engine (MIL) lamp.

1. Using TestBook, verify Passive Immobilization is enabled as follows:

^ Select Vehicle Configuration.

^ Select Dealer Configuration.

^ Select "CLASS" (Corporate Locking and Alarm Security Strategy).

^ Note the status of Passive Immobilization.

2. If Passive Immobilization shows "Disabled" the setting is correct for North American vehicles and the no-start/no-crank condition has another cause.

3. If Passive Immobilization shows "Enabled" the BCU must be replaced to provide the customer with the standard North American configuration. Two options are available:

^ Return BCU to Land Rover for reprogramming and install the reprogrammed BCU with proper menu selections.

^ Install a new BCU from parts inventory and install with proper menu selections as outlined in TIB 86/03/01/NAS.

4. Call the Land Rover Technical HelpLine for approval before you replace a BCU or ship a BCU to Land Rover.

OPTION 1: RE-PROGRAM EXISTING BCU TO TURN OFF PASSIVE IMMOBILIZATION

NOTE: Because the "Passive Immobilization" is a security-related feature, there is no way to turn off this feature with TestBook. Land Rover has the ability to perform this function using special software. Land Rover will FedEx the BCU back to the retailer on the day received.

1. Verify that the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

CAUTION: The negative cable removal must be performed within 30 seconds of pressing the plip button.

2. Perform the following steps within 30 seconds:

^ Press the unlock button on the plip.

^ Immediately remove the negative battery cable from the battery.

3. Refer to the Workshop Manual and remove the BCU from the vehicle.

4. Send the BCU via FedEx to Land Rover North America Inc. for reprogramming and return.

5. Refer to the Workshop Manual and install the re-programmed BCU.

OPTION 2: INSTALL NEW BCU TO TURN OFF PASSIVE IMMOBILIZATION

CAUTION: When installing a new BCU, the default is "Passive Armed." Failing to follow the BCU installation/replacement process correctly could cause Passive Immobilization to be turned on again.

1. Refer to the Workshop Manual and install a new BCU.

2. Refer to TIB 86/03/01/NAS and follow the installation/replacement procedure carefully to ensure that the BCU is installed correctly and that "Passive" is turned OFF.

Last edited by PassTheSpanner; 09-17-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, it sounds like it, and unless you want to replace the rest of the systems first, you should probably just get it reprogrammed. You can't swap a used BCU in without getting it synced to the ECU, which is probably just as expensive.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:26 PM
4wd Low

Yeah, it sounds like it, and unless you want to replace the rest of the systems first, you should probably just get it reprogrammed. You can't swap a used BCU in without getting it synced to the ECU, which is probably just as expensive.
If I buy a Nanocom will that be able to do this or do I need to take it to the dealer?

Old 09-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by PassTheSpanner
If I buy a Nanocom will that be able to do this or do I need to take it to the dealer?
Once the immobilizer is on, you can't communicate with the BCU anymore. Once it's disabled, you can use the Nanocom to permanently turn it off, but you're probably best off bringing it to Land Rover for this one. It's always more fun working on fixing a car that you know will run.

Edit: your other option is to find a junkyard Disco and pull both the ECU and BCU. But obviously no guarantees there.

Last edited by Jason Feuerstein; 09-17-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP - New Discovery Owner but Bought from BAD owner and won't run.