Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie,
Yes everything is tight on the entire exhaust system. I did some more research on the SAI valves, and it appears that they are bad. I did some checks today and that is where it's leading me. $350 for the pair of them from Roversnorth. I'm still vetting it, but looking for the cheapest price too. I think that is the source of my noise.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Well the noise is 100% related to the SAI valves and system. However it isn't valves themselves that are bad. I'm able to disconnect the vacuum line from the solenoid to the valve and the motor sounds awesome with no exhaust leak type noise. Trying to figure out why computer is telling solenoid switch to add vacuum to valves all the time instead of just at cold start up.

Anyone?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CRB357
Well the noise is 100% related to the SAI valves and system. However it isn't valves themselves that are bad. I'm able to disconnect the vacuum line from the solenoid to the valve and the motor sounds awesome with no exhaust leak type noise. Trying to figure out why computer is telling solenoid switch to add vacuum to valves all the time instead of just at cold start up.

Anyone?
There is a simple micro switch which controls the valves. Check it isn't stuck in the always on position. Drivers side

The following users liked this post:
CRB357 (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling

You talking about the solenoid that is located right above the Purge Valve? How do you know if it is "stuck in on position"? I unplugged it and stuff to drive and test, but I don't see any "on" or "off" switch. Any chance you can take a pic? .

Thanks for your help man. Much karma to you.

Last edited by CRB357; 06-18-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Can't remember it's exact place. Has vac tubes going to it. And a twin wire thing.

Mine was stuck. Making similar noise to yours. Not as bad tho.

The following users liked this post:
CRB357 (06-15-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Sounds like the solenoid. Has the 2 vac lines going to the valves and a little squarish shaped wire thingy on it where it unplugs. I just don't see any on/off switch on it.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, on further looking. My busted bit was in the picture in the second post here.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...cations-66533/

I thought I remember it having a microswitch in there. Dunno. But I got one second hand for cheap, and it fixed things. I hooked my old one up to 12v direct and it was making a mushy noise instead of a click. Easy to check.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Cool man, we are talking the same part. Just for the record, my noise is an exahaust leak sound coming from the SAI valves themselves, not the solenoid. The solenoid itself makes a clicking noise though. If you put your finger on it you can feel the pulses. I don't know if the clicking noise from the solenoid is normal or not. We will find out soon as I'm purchasing a new one. I hope the solenoid is just sticking open, which is causing the vacuum to remain on after the SAI should be shutting down, which is causing the exhaust to be pushed back through the still open SAI valves, causing the exhaust leak sound under acceleration. It really makes the most logical sense at this point. I can't wait to have a normal sounding Disco.

Thanks again. If I can help with anything please ask.

Last edited by CRB357; 06-15-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Three Wheeling

Problem solved! I mean really solved, as in it isn't ever coming back!!!!! Motor sounds very nice and clean now.

The connector plugs for the SAI Solenoid and the Purge Valve were switched. They are the same connector, but two different colors. Gray color is for SAI Solenoid and the black one for the Purge Valve. Whoever previously worked on the top end had them on backwards.....

I kind of feel bad for the previous owner bc he probably lost a ton of money selling it so cheap bc he thought motor was about to blow.

Anyhow thanks Cappedup.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CRB357
Problem solved! I mean really solved, as in it isn't ever coming back!!!!! Motor sounds very nice and clean now.

The connector plugs for the SAI Solenoid and the Purge Valve were switched. They are the same connector, but two different colors. Gray color is for SAI Solenoid and the black one for the Purge Valve. Whoever previously worked on the top end had them on backwards.....

I kind of feel bad for the previous owner bc he probably lost a ton of money selling it so cheap bc he thought motor was about to blow.

Anyhow thanks Cappedup.
Wow. Possibly the easiest fix ever. So it was the solenoid (not a switch, not sure what I was thinking there) but not because it was broke, but it wasn't connected!

I knew the sound was familiar. Think mine was partially working or something.

👍

Quick Reply: Help with noise from front end