Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP on O2 Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:19 PM
|
4wd Low
Default HELP on O2 Sensors

I have a 2000 Landrover Discovery II with about 90,000 miles on it. The service engine soon light is on (not flashing) so I just had a diagnostic check done today and the mechanic says that one of the valve cover gaskets is leaking oil into one of the O2 sensors and it’s eating away the wire of that specific O2 sensor.

Landrover wants $1600 to fix this. This is too expensive for me so I was going to see if I could buy quality parts myself and take it to a Landrover mechanic that I know that does work on the side.

Does this sound like a normal problem? And, does it sound like I need to replace the sensor or just the wire to the sensor, and if I do need to replace the sensor do I need to replace all four? (I read an article that LR's have trouble when only one sensor is replaced even if the other three are fine).

And, are the sensors really hard to remove? My mechanic is telling me that all four are really labor intensive to remove because of their position/location on the Landrover.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dakota

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Where are you located? 02 sensors can be a real pain if you live in a corrosive area, but there are things out there that can help you. The leaky valve cover gaskets is a pretty normal problem, most D2s I've seen have had them done at some point, they're very cheap.

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

The price at land rover sounds pretty steep, especially for something you can do yourself, but I'll be they are doing more than just valve cover gaskets and o2 sensors. If they are smart they'll be up selling for spark plug wires at the same time they've got the upper intake off for the valve covers. And OE land rover plug wires are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. Like $30 each!

Also the front oxygen sensors are about $250 each at the dealer, but the exact same part in a Bosch box is $50 at amazon.

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:45 PM
|
4wd Low

Thanks for the reply. I live in Dallas Texas. I read an article on this forum that said I should have all 4 sensors replaced once I near the 100,000 mile mark. What do you think of this?

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dbhawke
Thanks for the reply. I live in Dallas Texas. I read an article on this forum that said I should have all 4 sensors replaced once I near the 100,000 mile mark. What do you think of this?
On a D2, replace just the front 2, unless you are getting codes that lead you to believe the rear two have issues. The rear sensors only check the operation of the cats, and to some extent the operation of the front sensors. The front sensors, when working, are used to measure mixture.

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:48 PM
|
4wd Low

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:49 PM
|
4wd Low

Okay, thank you. This helps a lot!

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:51 PM
|
4wd Low

One last question if you don't mind. When I need new spark plugs, will the service engine soon light go off, and then I get a diagnostic check to find out it's the spark plugs, and then I replace them? Or is this something I should go ahead and replace since the mechanic is going to be under the hood and since it's nearing 100,000 miles?

Old 07-17-2013 | 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

If your going to be doing valve cover gaskets, I'd do plug wires too. It only makes sense when the intake is removed. Good 8mm wires from kingsborne or somewhere are much cheaper than OE. Plugs you can do anytime, but you're half way there. Some have good luck with cheap copper plugs and change them every 15-30k miles. Others like more expensive double platinum plugs and change them every 60-100k miles (if you're lucky). I personally like NGK plugs. But that will start a ford vs Chevy discussion around here.

There is a metal gasket under the upper intake. It's expensive from the dealer, but about $10 from rovahfarm, I think. I'd replace it because its cheap.

Might check for a leaking throttle body heater plate and replace it while the intake is easy to flip over.

Old 07-17-2013 | 05:02 PM
|
4wd Low

Again, thank you for the information. It is really appreciated.

Quick Reply: HELP on O2 Sensors