Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with parts for my new 04 D2

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with parts for my new 04 D2

Thanks to all the regular posters out there, this forum is an incredible resource. Although I have found out I have a lot of work to do! I picked up an 04 D2 at the beginning of the summer with 70k on it, recently it has started running a bit rough and the SES light came on. After reading the forum I am now going to refurb my front driveshaft with parts from Advance Auto, install Wix air filter, Bosch 4+ and Magnecor wires. I am also going to replace my O2 sensors and here is my question, there is such a price difference in parts out there, has anyone tried these? They seem too cheap to be true:
eBay - $22 O2 Sensors

Also someone mentioned that the front and back are different, is that true for the 04 D2?

I am also thinking of getting a Scanguage 2, it is a bit pricey, anyone have one that likes or dislikes it, is it worth the $$?

I also have to replace my fuel door release solenoid, anyone have any tips on getting at it?

Lastly, is it worth installing the Volo chip, does it affect performance to increase mileage?

Thanks again for all the great posts, I am excited about getting to know my D2 a little more intimately.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They seem too cheap to be true:
eBay - $22 O2 Sensors
yes too good. they are just universals not really for you truck.

Also someone mentioned that the front and back are different, is that true for the 04 D2?
yes.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MHK100920.cfm
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MHK100930.cfm

I am also thinking of getting a Scanguage 2, it is a bit pricey, anyone have one that likes or dislikes it, is it worth the $$?
i like it because i can keep a close eye on my MPG and coolant temp. it won't give you certain things like oil pressure or fuel pressure.

I also have to replace my fuel door release solenoid, anyone have any tips on getting at it?
are you sure the actuator is bad?

Lastly, is it worth installing the Volo chip, does it affect performance to increase mileage?
someone on this forum was running that chip. personally i have other things to tackle considering its not my DD its not that big of a deal.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Mudding

Whats wrong with the fuel door? Will it not open, or will it not stay closed?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a look at the Ultragauge www.ultra-gauge.com
Try clean and lube your fuel door latch.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The cheapest place I've found for OEM o2 sensors is Amazon, believe it or not. Pre and post cat are different.
I like the Kingsborne wires, 1/2 the price of Magnecore and just as good from what I can tell.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Same can be said for a good scanner, don't waste a bunch of money on a scan gauge when you can buy a good scanner on Amazon like I did last year, bought a 3130 that retails for over $300 for $134 on Amazon and will blow a scan gauge away in features.
As for the 02's, go to British Parts of Utah for parts like that, or as Tom mentioned Amazon, do not buy universal 02 sets, they are junk.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike do you know if the 3150 can read ABS codes on our vehicles?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

ScanGuageII
I have a ScanGuageII and like it a lot. First the LCD can be changed to green to match your night instrument cluster lights. It gives you the function to monitor 4 instantaneous gauges at the same time. It will read all check engine lite codes. And give you the 4 digit code number. The largest advantage I see to the ScanGuageII is the water temp guage. Along with the air intake temp, which gives me an idea of under hood temp, because I have a cold air intake.

ABS Amigo
ABS codes are proprietary by all car manufactures. So no off the shelf OBDII scanner can read them. That is why you have to go to a shop with a Hawkeye or the dealer or order the ABS Amigo. I got mine and I will figure it out soon.

Volo Chip.
I have had my Volo Chip installed now for about 2000 miles. I would say I get 14.5mpg in the city and 17-19mpg on the highway if i keep it under 75mpg. It does take 700 miles to start to work

Old 09-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Drifting

Bundu,

Do you have an Ultra-Gauge? How do you like it?

Thanks

Last edited by pennohawk; 09-25-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Hilltoppersx, Souljad9, Bundu,

RE: Fuel door solenoid:
I checked the fuse and swapped the dash switch out for one that works in my buddy's rig, I think all that is left is the solenoid. When you hit the switch it makes no noise.

I could try and clean/lube it, but I would think you would hear something if it was trying to actuate the pin but the pin was stuck. It was stuck closed originally but I jimmied it open and put some tape on it so it does not close again until I fix it.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by pennohawk; 09-25-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with parts for my new 04 D2