Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE Fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE Fluid leak

Need your help and guidance please. I have a small leak coming from the back of my 4.0 drivers side. Not sure where yet getting a mirror so I can look behind tomorrow. No water in oil, nothing out the exhaust and I don't see bubbles in the overflow. Engine still is strong with no knocking just the fluid loss. It's drips when it comes out and I can see it coming down the bell housing when i get under to look. Any chance its not a HG? Open for any and all ideas please. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cavdiver2; 11-26-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If its coolant, it could be the valley gasket,

Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Thank you for all of your answers. Can someone tell me what gaskets I will need to do the intake manifold?

Old 11-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You need to lay down underneath it with a flashlight and examine the back of the head. It's very likely the head gasket is leaking. I wouldn't attempt any repair without verifying the problem.

Mine was leaking from the front of the driver's side head, and there was a obvious trail of congealed Dexcool from the leak's origin, but I had to get under the truck with a flashlight to see it.

I "repaired" it with Barr's Leaks tablets. From what I have read, they are crushed up walnut that swells when they get lodged in gaps in the cooling system. They are commonly used in vehicles with aluminum heads that develop tiny leaks around the head gasket. It's been a year and several thousand miles and mine has had zero issues of any kind.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Could also be the throttle body heater... When it leaks it will land the top of the valve cover and roll back over the driver side.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
Could also be the throttle body heater... When it leaks it will land the top of the valve cover and roll back over the driver side.
Good point!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Drifting

I've checked everywhere I can see with a flashlight. I'm going to look on the back of the motor with a mirror and flashlight this weekend to see if there's a chance it's coming from the back of the head. So far I am leaning toward the intake manifold gasket or the Throttle body heater. If it is just the intake do I only need the intake gasket and valve cover gaskets or are there others? Again thanks for any and all info!!

Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Stop guessing, stop looking with flashlight and a mirror. Go do a pressure test and figure this out. I would stop driving until you do, If it is the head gasket on the rear if it goes while driving down the highway you will be the proud captain of a boat anchor. Okay to be fair even with the pressure test you may still need to flashlight and the mirror. But it will be a heck of a lot easier to once you have the system at pressure and no engine running.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I agree pressure testing is a good idea, and Advance Auto Parts will rent one that fits our truck.

The pressure tester will help if the leak is the throttle body heater, and might help if the leak is the intake manifold gasket or timing cover. But with the tiny leaks at the front and back of the head gasket they may not leak with just a pressure tester.

I tried a few things and could never get mine to leak with a pressure tester.

It just occurred to me - are you sure this is coolant and not water? The drains for the AC system are behind the engine by the transmission bellhousing.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Drifting

It's coolant and I'm not driving it because I don't want a boat anchor. I didn't know of the pressure test so I will get on that ASAP. Again TY all and I will update.

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE Fluid leak