Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with pump line from coolant res

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 07:20 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with pump line from coolant res

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well.

so I bought my 2000 disco 2 about 9 months ago and just realized, a hose from the coolant res is broke in half and it seems like a huge empty spot in that general area.

My question is:

what is that hose in yellow?

guessing I need to fix that?

the car isn’t running hot or anything but that coolant in the res seems to be draining slowly, very slowly. Nothing leaks out of the busted hose tho.

thanks for the help.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 825 Likes on 600 Posts

Nothing is amiss.

The nylon line running from the reservoir is the overflow. It should be rotated to point down and mounted in the little clip pictured on the side of the reservoir.

The other line looks like a vent tube from the front differential or the transfer case. It too should be open to the air, as it is.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Overflow tube on reservoir & broken cruise control vacuum line (runs from the pump to actuator).

Old 10-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

And you may want to replace the coolant from DEXCOOL that’s you have cooling system right now to regular coolant, that way if you get low on coolant without noticing or get an air pocket in cooling system it will be less damaging, most Disco owners here have done this, to eliminate crystal build up from DEXCOOL.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I got told off by a so called LR Guru the other day for having green coolant in all my D1/D2's lol. Then I later found out his so called flawless 100% OEM LR 04 D2 was needing HG's........... Made my day to be honest lol.

Yes I just did a HG job on my rusty but trusty 97 XD, but good lord they hadn't been touched since 00 from the records I found (she came with a full record history and showed HG replaced at 45K under warranty) it now has 170K on it. They were seeping when I bought it! The cooling system itself was very clean. Unlike what you'd find in a system with Dexcool.

Green coolant doesn't just last 1 year anymore 12k. It's rated at 5/150 and a few even rate it higher. Dexcool's #1 selling point was longer life, but that simply isn't the case anymore.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:35 PM
Drifting

So am I good with the orange?

in the manual it doesn’t say.

i googled what type and saw like 4 different kinds.

so the guy at the auto store looked it up.

thanks everyone.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett Larrow
So am I good with the orange?

in the manual it doesn’t say.

i googled what type and saw like 4 different kinds.

so the guy at the auto store looked it up.

thanks everyone.
The orange dexcool is what came in the truck from the factory, however consensus is that it’s not good for the long term health of the truck, especially if it isn’t flushed and refilled regularly (which it almost never is). It’s a good idea to flush the old coolant out and while your in there put in a 180 degree thermostat.

The following users liked this post:
Garrett Larrow (10-13-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 04:37 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by greisinb
The orange dexcool is what came in the truck from the factory, however consensus is that it’s not good for the long term health of the truck, especially if it isn’t flushed and refilled regularly (which it almost never is). It’s a good idea to flush the old coolant out and while your in there put in a 180 degree thermostat.
Thanks.

what brand/type of coolant is recommended then after the flush? A 50/50 or certain color?

Old 10-15-2020, 07:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 825 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
The other line looks like a vent tube from the front differential or the transfer case. It too should be open to the air, as it is.
Originally Posted by Best4x4
Overflow tube on reservoir & broken cruise control vacuum line (runs from the pump to actuator).
This is what I get for trying to answer in too much of a rush, from my phone with the small screen, early in the morning.

The following users liked this post:
Garrett Larrow (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

You can use any non DEXCOOL coolant, I use PRESTON because it’s available everywhere, after you completely flush the system , meaning there is nothing left in there but some water ( because you will not be able to drain everything out ) then fill with 6.5 quart’s of concentrate coolant, then fill the rest with distilled water, that will give you close to 50/50 ratio (cooling system holds 13 quart’s from dry) then you should be fine, make sure to bleed system correctly so no air left in system,

Quick Reply: Help with pump line from coolant res